Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GeForce GTX 275

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Think I'll get this , read a nice article today . Anyone have it or the ATI HD 4890 ? Seems middle of the road and price is right .

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...mb-review.html

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    What do you need a card like that for? Media? Gaming?

I'm sure it's a nice card. Great actually. I just can't justify spending more than about $100 on a GPU anymore. The prices tend to fall like a rock after the initial glitter wears off, and seeing that cards price range it's likely in mid free fall ATM.

Take the 8800GTs for example. I bought a perfectly good one off Craigslist about a month ago for $40. $40 fucking dollars! That card was $500+ like two or three years ago. The one 8800GT that I already had is capable of running every game I've ever tried on max settings (except Crysis). I just bought this second one b/c I just couldn't pass up $40.

My opinion would be to wait unless your antsy.

yo

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    The GTX 275 is the card that I have. I did a lot of research before buying and it seemed the best compromise between price and performance.
    It runs everything that I throw at in on high and never tops 50C in a Cooler Master HAF case with no special cooling.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 09-23-2009 at 01:51 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    A 4870 will probably be very close to / might even outperform the GTX 275. That's old now.
    Now go away.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    At least wait a little.

The ATi 5870s and 5850s are getting released like today, once those start getting rolled out, prices of older cards should start dropping.

Also, I think the 4890s have better image quality than the 275s.

Heck, the 5850s don't cost much more than a 275 where I'm looking (my regular place started listing them just now). And that's dx11 and supposedly better performance than a GF285.
    Last edited by Snee; 09-23-2009 at 05:13 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    I have a GTX 260 and the card is great. I had a minor driver issue with win 7 when the beta was out but now everything plays awesome. About $100 price difference. My 2 cents

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I'm expecting a bonus and thought I'd upgrade my computer with a newer card .I have a Nvidia Geforce 8600 gt now , not bad but want to treat myself and my son plays games on my rig .

I'm enjoying Win7 64 and just bumped to 8gb memory , thought what the heck . Thank you for the ideas I'v got a few weeks yet .

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    This is a decent review of the 4890's v Gtx275 - http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=745

Both are cracking cards really, I'm a bit of a mark these days for the red team (as much because their more recent cards have really breathed new life into the gpu market and pushed prices right down across the board) but either would be a good choice.

Although as said above hanging fire to see how the new ATI 5 series perform might well be wise (even if just to see the 4's and nvidia's equivalents come down in price).
    Last edited by MadIrish; 09-24-2009 at 03:19 AM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    There is tons of fantastic reviews out there now. Some sites i visit regularly are guru3d.com and tonmshardware.com, both have very, very new reviews and comparisons with the new cards.

But as Snee stated, it would be a good idea to wait until prices drop. Shouldn't be too far away either. Can't wait =)

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I was reading about this one :

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...por-x-review/1

I don't want to wait till Xmas , money will be spent by then . It's about 240 .00 CND .

This is giving pause for thought .

" Final Thoughts...
    Of course, the relative merits of 2GB of graphics memory is academic, as a reference-design GeForce GTX 275 costs the same as the Sapphire Vapor-X and is faster in all situations bar Fallout 3. In some games the performance advantage is marginal, in others it's more pronounced, but overall, the GTX 275 has the Vapor-X beaten for performance.

However, the GTX 275 is a louder card than the Vapor-X, though not obnoxiously so, and it ships with even less memory than the standard HD 4870, let alone the 2GB Sapphire. It's hardly comparable on the "future-proofing memory footprint" stakes. "
    Last edited by peat moss; 10-03-2009 at 07:03 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast