Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best RAM upgrade for netbook?

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    HP is having a clearance, and I optioned one out at, like, 560 USD (wireless pkg w/Bluetooth, 32G SS "cartridge", big batt, etc., Win XP); want to do some mapping/topo work with occasional interweb/email usage...
    Which model is that?

You probably want to stay away from ones with Via-processors as their track record hasn't been great. Those are good for saving power, but otherwise less than stellar when running Windows (the models I've seen even shipped with Vista, which was just fabulous), or using anything that needs at least a little bit of oumph.

32GB ssd sounds like something you can't get with a a via-model, but telling you just just in case.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    'Twas the HP Mini 110 (XP Version), with the Atom Processor N280 (1.66GHz, 512KB L2, 667Mhz FSB).
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    That's the same processor I have and one of two that you'll find in nearly every netbook.

If you're going to spend almost $600, why not get a full on laptop and get more bang for your buck?
    Last edited by Skiz; 10-05-2009 at 08:39 PM.

yo

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    'Cuz I want to be carting it around in the woods - an over-hill-and-dale thing.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Think I'm gonna get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-5101-FM95.../ref=de_a_smtd

If you have input, you'd better hustle - I'll probably pull the trigger Thursday.
    Last edited by j2k4; 10-13-2009 at 10:18 PM.

-Mark Twain

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Looks aight to me. Do consider that that has a regular hd though, an ssd might be better if you plan on really mistreating it. The battery life isn't awesome, but I assume there are better ones to buy for a spare, if you decide you need it.

For myself I'd also go for 3g, like I've stated before, but I don't even know if that's an option where you live.

But like I started off with, it looks all right.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Thanks for the feedback, Snee...I won't be choosing a service until spring, as I won't have time to do the mapping bit until then - too busy chasing poachers and trespassers for that, and then the snows will come.

I thought about the SSD as well, but I want to get the other software on-board first to see what I'll have to have for map/topo storage, and also if I can find an affordable/larger SSD by then to handle it otherwise.

I want to try Win7 on it, too; if it starts to croak the RAM, the SSD should help, I would think.

-Mark Twain

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Update:

Just saved myself some cash - I'm ordering a different version ($150 cheaper) with 1G of RAM (the only difference, apart from XP rather than Vista Business), also ordering a 2G RAM module from Crucial, and, using a $50 coupon from HP, purchasing the 6v battery, which brings the usable time up to over 9 hrs.

This thing oughta be a little monster, even without the SSD - the 160G installed HDD is 7200 rpm, so.

Win7 oughta run sweet, I think.

-Mark Twain

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Got it in hand - neat little machine, but I'm still waiting on the extra RAM for some reason.

Maybe tomorrow...

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12