Thread: I never knew that....

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    ...Roman Polanski was married to Sharon Tate at the time of her death.

I guess I'm showing my youth.

yo

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I always thought that they met while he was casting The Fearless Vampire Killers .
    Polanski should have been in the house at the time of the murders but was delayed in London because of business .
    Death has been trying to catch up with him in increasingly nasty ways ever since.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    It's made me a bit more curious about the Manson Family murders. I guess with the combination of learning that he was married to Tate, the recent denial of parole to Susan Atkins and the release of "Squeaky" Fromme.

I was also surprised at how much of the story I had never heard before. I suppose I just never paid attention to the little details, but now that I know them, it helps piece together why this was such a big story.

The fact that a very young Candice Bergman lived in the house just a month prior and that was the group of people the Manson Family was actually out to kill. The fact that one of the Beach Boys picked up two female hitchhikers (Manson women) and that's when the events that would end in murder were set in motion. Loads of interesting stuff...

Wiki has a really comprehensive layout (better than most of their articles) and I read the entire thing.

Fascinating story.

yo

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Read Helter Skelter...a bit self-serving but packed with detail.
    America was much more innocent and naive back then.
    The Tate/LaBianca murders would hardly rate front page coverage today but back then were absolutely sensational.

Of course, even today Charlie Manson would be a media darling...batshit insane coupled with extreme savvy is hard to resist (see: Sarah Palin).
    Last edited by clocker; 09-03-2009 at 10:18 PM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I'll add it to the list of future reads.

I was watching interviews with folks who were in that Hollywood scene back then that were indirectly affected by the murders. One woman put it nicely by making several points: (I'm paraphrasing)

It marked the end of the sixties mentality. It was the end of peace and love. It ended the naivety and bliss in Hollywood as well. No one ever felt the same again. The party was over.

yo

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)

yo

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    Someone has been reading your posts.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.