Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: supernews any good

  1. #1
    Apparently they are offering a special $11.99 a month unlimited.

    http://www.supernews.com/?r=fst

    From what I can tell they are owned by Giganews and recently upgraded retention. Since they've been around since 1995 I trust they will be here tomorrow. But more interesting to me is whether this will essentially be Giganews service at lower cost. A traceroute indicates it is just giganews server farm. But retention is reportedly lower than Giganews claim. Could it be a mirror or another server farm in the same datacenter spooling from GN main servers?


    Since I read this forum often enough as well as others, I know all about Astraweb, so please keep any discussion of how you like Astraweb or its $11 deal out of this thread. I've had it for months so I'm well aware of its greatness. I just get much better upload speeds to Giganews datacenter (and my Highwinds reseller block account used for posting) and am thinking of consolidating to one simple account.

  2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Supernews has been relaunched by Giganews to meet Astraweb in terms of price, but its still all run by giganews. If you look at their DCMA info, they have the same contact information as well.

    http://www.copyright.gov/onlinesp/ag.../supernews.pdf
    http://www.copyright.gov/onlinesp/agents/g/giganews.pdf

    If you get better speeds with giganews I'd say go for it. You've been around long enough not to get hurt by the slight loss in retention.

  3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by unoriginal View Post
    This page leads to a referral/affiliate link for the guy that runs the site, but you can get supernews for 9.99/mo instead of 11.99.

    http://www.newsgroupreviews.com/blog...imited-usenet/

    or you can avoid the blogspam, and use the *direct link* to the 9.99 special


    http://www.supernews.com/?r=fst

    Last edited by ericab; 09-26-2009 at 01:06 AM.
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

  4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Thanks, signed up for $9.99 to give it a whirl. I will post thoughts later.

  5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Since I've heard of Giganews being so great and have been thinking about checking out newsgroups a bit deeper this time, I decided to try this plan out.

    Wow! The speeds are fantastic and I really like how easy it is to pull down HD movies in a flash. For $10 a month I will definitely be enjoying a lot of movies and shows.

    p.s. thanks to all previous posters in other threads for the tips on clients and nzb sites etc. Sabnzbd+ and Nzbsrus make it an easy transition from torrents.

  6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Capital Wasteland
    Posts
    24,011
    Quote Originally Posted by seedingyourmom View Post
    Sabnzbd+ and Nzbsrus make it an easy transition from torrents.

    What you don't use our NZB Index?

    Quote Originally Posted by leech View Post
    Apparently they are offering a special $11.99 a month unlimited.

    http://www.supernews.com/?r=fst

    From what I can tell they are owned by Giganews and recently upgraded retention. Since they've been around since 1995 I trust they will be here tomorrow. But more interesting to me is whether this will essentially be Giganews service at lower cost. A traceroute indicates it is just giganews server farm. But retention is reportedly lower than Giganews claim. Could it be a mirror or another server farm in the same datacenter spooling from GN main servers?


    Since I read this forum often enough as well as others, I know all about Astraweb, so please keep any discussion of how you like Astraweb or its $11 deal out of this thread. I've had it for months so I'm well aware of its greatness. I just get much better upload speeds to Giganews datacenter (and my Highwinds reseller block account used for posting) and am thinking of consolidating to one simple account.
    Astraweb is great You asked for it, but seriously, If you get better upload/download then why not? I just don't trust Giganews and it seems more and more stuff gets deleted from there servers everyday, eg...and HBO show, seems to be deleted within a week, there alot more strict...but hey if you get better uploads/downloads at a cheapr price why not, as long as the retention doesn't drop to much.
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 09-26-2009 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    [center]

  7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    I just don't trust Giganews and it seems more and more stuff gets deleted from there servers everyday, eg...and HBO show, seems to be deleted within a week, there alot more strict...but hey if you get better uploads/downloads at a cheapr price why not, as long as the retention doesn't drop to much.
    I forgot about this since I moved over to Astraweb. Also something that giganews will do is filter messages that have been pgp encrypted, and sometimes simply posting a msg that has only been signed will also get filtered out. The weird part is that the message will get propagated, but you'll never see it on giganews.

  8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Capital Wasteland
    Posts
    24,011
    Yeah, that is weird....
    [center]

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •