Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: ubuntu desktop.help

  1. #1
    . BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    "No Life Without Trance"
    Posts
    1,349
    i have ubuntu desktop server and i don't have experience to use sftp can some one please tell me how to download my files from the server into my PC which program i have to use ?

    and please how to switch of firewall
    Last edited by waeldiab; 09-28-2009 at 08:02 PM.

  2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    cap87's Avatar wait, what?
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    260
    apt-get install vsftpd

    apt-get install openssl

    openssl req -x509 -nodes -days 365 -newkey rsa:2048 -keyout /root/vsftpd.pem -out /root/vsftpd.pem

    nano /etc/vsftpd.conf

    then change the following:

    anonymous_enable=NO
    local_enable=YES
    write_enable=YES

    And copy this to the end:

    ssl_enable=YES
    force_local_logins_ssl=YES
    ssl_tlsv1=YES
    ssl_sslv2=YES
    ssl_sslv3=YES
    rsa_cert_file=/root/vsftpd.pem

    close and exit.

    then:

    /etc/init.d/vsftpd start
    /etc/init.d/vsftpd restart
    update-rc.d vsftpd defaults

    After all this install a ftp client in your home (like filezilla), login (in the ip field put "sftp://your.ip.here" and the default port is 22), and start downloading

    Edit: don't forget sudo lol
    Last edited by ultrauploader; 09-28-2009 at 08:07 PM.

  3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    . BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    "No Life Without Trance"
    Posts
    1,349
    i tried to do that but
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
    admin@ks362985:~$ apt-get install openssl
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

  4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    cap87's Avatar wait, what?
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by waeldiab View Post
    i tried to do that but
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
    admin@ks362985:~$ apt-get install openssl
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrauploader View Post
    Edit: don't forget sudo lol

    Last edited by ultrauploader; 09-28-2009 at 08:19 PM.

  5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    ftp server is already running, you don't have to anything said above, just use filezilla or cuteftp clients from your home p.c to connect, with your user id and pass, set port as 22 and session as sftp in settings.

  6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    InSPir's Avatar perdido
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    32
    Posts
    46
    use lehaans suggestion and you'll be good to download from your ftp

  7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    . BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    "No Life Without Trance"
    Posts
    1,349
    Quote Originally Posted by lehaans View Post
    ftp server is already running, you don't have to anything said above, just use filezilla or cuteftp clients from your home p.c to connect, with your user id and pass, set port as 22 and session as sftp in settings.

    thanks bro its working as well now

  8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    423
    Firewall? Are you talking about IPTables?

    WinSCP is a great client.

  9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    check out http://www.expandrive.com/windows

    turns an sftp into a drive letter. just drag and drop to transfer
    Last edited by terrabyte911; 10-07-2009 at 07:05 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •