Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Who invented the term "elite tracker"?

  1. #1
    cap87's Avatar wait, what?
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    260
    So, many of these trackers most of you guys consider "elite" don't consider themselves that (well, there's always exceptions, specially with the new ones that pop up every day).

    This only generates bad publicity against those trackers (everyone wants to get in, and moslty bad members for those sites).

    I'm curious, how this term appeared and why everyone keeps using it?
    (my guess is that this has something to do with the WTAW thread, but i would like to hear some opinions)
    Last edited by ultrauploader; 09-30-2009 at 09:03 PM.

  2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    654
    nice post robochuck... my guess... it was swepsycho who made it up.

    L

  3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Burnsy's Avatar TorrentSeed.org RIP BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,397


    Seriously though... what exactly is an "Elite Tracker" and what criteria exactly does the tracker have to conform to before it can be put in this class?

    I'm afraid I don't follow all the 'politics' that go along with members squabbling over who's the best... so never really take any notice of all the crap flying around over who has the biggest e-penis

  4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    4,960
    'elite tracker' is a description, not a term. it's common English..

  5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    654
    wow true sounds has TTC Axx!!!!!

  6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Burnsy's Avatar TorrentSeed.org RIP BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,397
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueSounds View Post
    'elite tracker' is a description, not a term. it's common English..
    Thanks for that. I am aware of what is used as a describing term, maybe I should have elaborated a little...

    One members term of 'Elite Tracker' may not correspond to another members definition of it, in fact ultrauploader also mentions - "many of these trackers most of you guys consider "elite" don't consider themselves that" - hence the reason a lot of squabbling and disagreement takes place over who's tracker is best etc etc

    All I was looking for, I suppose, was to find out if there were anything 'official', for want of a better term, that was required before no-one could really argue that the site/tracker was indeed 'Elite'. You guys know a lot more about that sort of stuff than me... was only asking.

  7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    it obviously stemmed from the WTAW topic. People consider trackers (the high level ones) as 'elite' because they are very hard to join. These trackers do not consider themselves 'elite', they are trying to keep security tight because they have had a history usually involving persecution from the authorities. people think it is their right to join these trackers, and because they cannot join, they are frustrated so fling the term "elite" around, as if to somewhat say "when i join x tracker, i will be elite".

    IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swepsycho View Post
    revtt and tl is n00bs...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swepsycho View Post
    i don`t use mozilla n00b...... is addon in internet exp...?

  8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Burnsy's Avatar TorrentSeed.org RIP BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,397
    Quote Originally Posted by NippleCake View Post
    it obviously stemmed from the WTAW topic. People consider trackers (the high level ones) as 'elite' because they are very hard to join. These trackers do not consider themselves 'elite', they are trying to keep security tight because they have had a history usually involving persecution from the authorities. people think it is their right to join these trackers, and because they cannot join, they are frustrated so fling the term "elite" around, as if to somewhat say "when i join x tracker, i will be elite".

    IMO.
    Thank you.

    So in a way the term 'Elite' is used in a negative sense by people jealous of not being able to have what they think they should be entitled to? And all because good sites want to stay that way without allowing just anybody to join?

    So 'Elite Tracker' is really just term used by peeps trying to put down what they can't have... that's pretty shitty

  9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    525
    Everything I'm about to post was related to me directly from a sysop of a major tracker who was in fact involved in the relevant negotiation. In or about December 2007, a meeting was held in #sys0p on EfNet. The purpose of said meeting was to determine a precise arrangement of tracker rarity and specialization. It was at that meeting that, among other things, for example the decision of SCT and SCC to create a false competition for pretimes in order to maximize the number of mutual users as well as the decision to go halfsies on a small hosting company known as OVH, which was then used to promote the usage of seedboxes and increase the competition among the userbase), the term "elite" was chosen in a vote of 5-2 with the other options discussed by the committee being "1337", "select", "exclusive" and the wordy "creme de la creme" proposed by the only sysop from Quebec.

  10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    KushBlow's Avatar Zen BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tim Hortons
    Posts
    1,211
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollinThunder View Post
    Everything I'm about to post was related to me directly from a sysop of a major tracker who was in fact involved in the relevant negotiation. In or about December 2007, a meeting was held in #sys0p on EfNet. The purpose of said meeting was to determine a precise arrangement of tracker rarity and specialization. It was at that meeting that, among other things, for example the decision of SCT and SCC to create a false competition for pretimes in order to maximize the number of mutual users as well as the decision to go halfsies on a small hosting company known as OVH, which was then used to promote the usage of seedboxes and increase the competition among the userbase), the term "elite" was chosen in a vote of 5-2 with the other options discussed by the committee being "1337", "select", "exclusive" and the wordy "creme de la creme" proposed by the only sysop from Quebec.


    moving on WTAW has a big role in it. I think TSOL is/was involved because their names are similar. They might be bots.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •