Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: People's Beliefs?

TheDave's Avatar n00b
    but you can get a fine and prison sentance for skiving

2. Lounge   -   #42
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS+6 October 2003 - 12:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JONNO_CELEBS &#064; 6 October 2003 - 12:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@6 October 2003 - 17:30

Jonno, you prove my point.

Pronouncements are one thing, "force" is another.

Why don&#39;t more of you visit the "World Events" section?

This would make for an excellent and far-ranging long-term thread.
    No, the way I see it he told me to do something, no one tells me to do anything, they may ask me but never ever tell me to do something, you&#39;re right, maybe force is the wrong word...........but he also told me that he and his church buddies prayed for me That is taking the piss

Looks like I&#39;m about to flame

Jonno[/b][/quote]
    I don&#39;t think such could be construed as them "prevailing" against your wishes, Jonno.

If someone offers a prayer for "all the people of the world", I think you would be included-as a matter of fact, you can be certain that occurs a few billion times a day-for you to insist that they exclude you by name from their prayer would, I fear, be an overwhelming imposition.

Relax, Jonno-if we all assert our affection for you, would you sort the assertions?

I would hope not.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. Lounge   -   #43
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Originally posted by noname12@6 October 2003 - 13:04
    Oh get over it, so some one told you about there religion and prayed for you OH JESUS he should be executed (spelling?), I personally believe every one has the right to preach there beliefs so long as it does not border on hatred and violence, let them stand in hyde parks speakers corner and scream they love christ, let them stand on the pulpit and show alliegance to the caliphate, let them shake there heads infront of the wailing wall and blow there horns, who cares, no one is forcing you to do anything, there not pinning you down and making you believe, just saying what they believe and out of care try to make you believe the same.
    Forcing.... you dont know what forcing is... go to places like Saudi Arabia where they FORCE people to be of Sunnite or Wahabite belief, anything else you&#39;ll get shot, not being forced by some one praying for you&nbsp; &nbsp;
    I have no problem with people believing differently than I do. What I do have a problem with, and the point I think Jonno is trying to make is, that I don&#39;t like someone trying to coerce me into believing what they do. Everyone has a choice to believe what they want, and no one has the right to tell someone else that they are right or wrong for what they believe. It is one thing to say "this is what I believe" it is entirely another to say "this is what I believe and you are wrong if you don&#39;t believe the same thing, and now I&#39;m going to try to bully you into believing it too."

4. Lounge   -   #44
    Originally posted by NikkiD@6 October 2003 - 13:14
    It is one thing to say "this is what I believe" it is entirely another to say "this is what I believe and you are wrong if you don&#39;t believe the same thing, and now I&#39;m going to try to bully you into believing it too."
    I believe you&#39;ve winnowed it down, NikkiD.

This is what we should strive to avoid.

That is not to say we should shy away from trying to convince others of the error of their ways.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. Lounge   -   #45
    Poster
    Originally posted by j2k4+6 October 2003 - 18:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 &#064; 6 October 2003 - 18:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-NikkiD@6 October 2003 - 13:14
    It is one thing to say "this is what I believe" it is entirely another to say "this is what I believe and you are wrong if you don&#39;t believe the same thing, and now I&#39;m going to try to bully you into believing it too."
    I believe you&#39;ve winnowed it down, NikkiD.

This is what we should strive to avoid.

That is not to say we should shy away from trying to convince others of the error of their ways. [/b][/quote]
    Yep pretty much what j2k4 said, no one is forcing you or jonno to do anything, to them you are wrong and they are right, just as to you they are wrong and you are right ... aslong as every one says it in a nice way and with out a gun to each others head, theres no forcing or problems involved

6. Lounge   -   #46
    Poster
    j2 (forgive me being forward)

However if I believe something, then by definition I must think it is correct.

If you believe something different then, again be definition, I must think you are wrong.

We are surely allowed to disagree wtih one and other, that does not mean I am trying to coerce you into accepting my position is the correct one.

Oh and if you disagree with this you are quite obviously wrong.

7. Lounge   -   #47
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by titey+6 October 2003 - 17:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (titey @ 6 October 2003 - 17:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lilmiss@6 October 2003 - 11:23
    you would learn something.....never to go again.
    Amen&#33; [/b][/quote]
    [QUOTE]

I thought that you stayed in the bible belt Titey. Oh no, I forgot you stay in a Condo. B)
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

8. Lounge   -   #48
    Originally posted by JPaul@6 October 2003 - 13:33
    j2 (forgive me being forward)

However if I believe something, then by definition I must think it is correct.

If you believe something different then, again be definition, I must think you are wrong.

We are surely allowed to disagree wtih one and other, that does not mean I am trying to coerce you into ccepting my position is the correct one.

Oh and if you disagree with this you are quite obviously wrong.
    Obviously you disagree that I am agreeing with you, or you me.

Just as obviously, I am right, and in those instances we agree, I must still insist I am "righter" than you.

Sorry, JPaul, but that&#39;s just the way it is.

Feel free to disagree.

BTW-I do not feel you are being forward-just the opposite.

-Mark Twain

9. Lounge   -   #49
    JONNO_CELEBS's Avatar Densly Loadan BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Originally posted by NikkiD@6 October 2003 - 18:14
    I don&#39;t like someone trying to coerce me into believing what they do. Everyone has a choice to believe what they want, and no one has the right to tell someone else that they are right or wrong for what they believe
    That is exactly what I am saying, I have beliefs but none of you know what they are cos I done preach it to you.
    I don&#39;t think anyone&#39;s beliefs are wrong, but they seem to think mine are, so who is IN the wrong??

As for Forcing, I said it was the wrong word already&#33;

As for me calming down.......not yet, I ain&#39;t done yet.
    I am having my say, I keep quiet about this stuff most of the time but I am having my say which is my right as a human being in the same way that my opinion and beliefes are my right as a human being.

Jonno
    Thinking about 1
    My Place & Arcade

10. Lounge   -   #50
    Poster
    Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS+6 October 2003 - 19:52--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JONNO_CELEBS @ 6 October 2003 - 19:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-NikkiD@6 October 2003 - 18:14
    I don&#39;t like someone trying to coerce me into believing what they do. Everyone has a choice to believe what they want, and no one has the right to tell someone else that they are right or wrong for what they believe
    That is exactly what I am saying, I have beliefs but none of you know what they are cos I done preach it to you.
    I don&#39;t think anyone&#39;s beliefs are wrong, but they seem to think mine are, so who is IN the wrong??

As for Forcing, I said it was the wrong word already&#33;

As for me calming down.......not yet, I ain&#39;t done yet.
    I am having my say, I keep quiet about this stuff most of the time but I am having my say which is my right as a human being in the same way that my opinion and beliefes are my right as a human being.

Jonno [/b][/quote]
    Well stop trying to force this down everyone else&#39;s throat.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast