Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Global bans

DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +1
    Or the same IP? ^^

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Martinator View Post
    Of course noone gets globaly banned in the absolute meaning of the word. I think the phrase is used to scare people. Call it general prevention.
    Well, kinda in the same way we "scare" criminals with things like jail, fines, being "violated" in showers, or put to death.

No system of "justice" is flawless. This community suffers from the same potential for abuse as any other system in place.

No there is no real "global" ban, but being exiled from Rome did not mean that one could not visit cities elsewhere, either. However, at the time, Rome was the center of the "modern" world and being kicked out (and loss of citizenship) was very serious (truly an understatement, but it will work for here).

Nobody prevents "exiled" BT users from going to Demonoid or the like...(BTW, I like Demonoid- not dis'ing it). However, if someone chooses to be "uncivilized", they do not get to be part of the more "civilized" (read as rule-following; respectful) trackers.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    NON TRADER BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkin' View Post
    The term "global ban" is a joke. Maybe the term "banned from a few select sites" would be more fitting as I'm sure not every tracker(or even close) participates when a staffer tries to initiate one.

Just ask Cabalo. His supposed global banned was what, a few sites at the most?
    well, that depends on the what the offense was really.. i agree though there really isn't such a thing as "GLOBAL BANNING" per say.. only because there are too many trackers out there to actually say all of them.. however, it could effect your most "VALUED" sites..
    TRADING SUCKS DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Martinator View Post
    Of course noone gets globaly banned in the absolute meaning of the word. I think the phrase is used to scare people. Call it general prevention.
    Well, kinda in the same way we "scare" criminals with things like jail, fines, being "violated" in showers, or put to death.

No system of "justice" is flawless. This community suffers from the same potential for abuse as any other system in place.
    Yeah that's what I was going for. That's the definition of general prevention AFAIK. Of course special prevention is also there.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    sperm's Avatar lol BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by R0D3NT View Post
    invite sellers get "global" ban. Just look at what happened to those caught by what.cd (or was it waffles or perhaps both).
    an FTN star is an exception to that
    Last edited by sperm; 10-02-2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: typo and stuff

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm Hot View Post

Edit: "DISABLED PRIVS" I just noticed. Could some mod in a single post explain why? Don't really want to create a thread over this.
    You had a sig that 's only definable purpose would be for phishing.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Hm even though I don't really remember which sig was, I was only testing it, I never really used one here, I can't even see other's users sigs.

Edit: err, the 1x1 pixel image? Yeah now I get it. Sorry about that. Such method doesn't really work though, as you may have thought to yourself idol lol
    Last edited by I'm Hot; 10-02-2009 at 01:57 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I really don't know anything about things like that . It was reported and it was hosted someplace that didn't make any sense .
    The decision to DP was made by someone who knows something about this sort of thing (I assume).

Btw no one is protecting tracker rule breakers here. In this case it's more about defending an individuals right to privacy.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 10-02-2009 at 02:05 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I really don't know anything about things like that . It was reported and it was hosted someplace that didn't make any sense .
    The decision to DP was made by someone who knows something about this sort of thing (I assume).

Btw no one is protecting tracker rule breakers here. In this case it's more about defending an individuals right to privacy.
    QFT
    I've also heard of methods that am yet to comprehend
    http://www.katzforums.com/showthread.php?p=950072

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Fair enough Idol, sorry for the off topic.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast