Thread: Is it ok to use txtor on private trackers??

DrParker's Avatar Pro Seeder BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55

Question Mark

im talking about that one http://txtor.dwerg.net.
    is it risky?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Since most trackers require you authenticate yourself before downloading the metadata, I doubt it'd work in the first place. And even if it did, I wouldn't advice using it, because of the different IP.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by DrParker View Post
    im talking about that one http://txtor.dwerg.net.
    is it risky?
    You can't use txtor with a private tracker unless you give them your username and password information.

In which case I would highly recommend you don't

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Tv Controls you View Post
    In which case I would highly recommend you don't
    They even state that themselves
    It doesn't help you out for private sites (i.e., where you need to login to download a torrent), because we'd have to relay your credentials and we doubt you'd want us to give your username and password.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    TraLaLa's Avatar knowledge is power BT Rep: +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95
    they ask for the link too ? damn

“The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to an opponent, tolerance; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect; to all men, charity.”

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice10UFO View Post
    they ask for the link too ? damn
    I think there offering a legitimate service, but they also realize its not practical to ask people for login/password information.

The main use of their site is for public trackers when the torrent extension file is blocked.

They run a pretty straight forward site.
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 01-01-2010 at 12:38 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    BCG has this feature as well.

I think it's mainly just for people in college/other monitored ISPs that block the downloading of .torrent files, so they can simply download it as a .txt extension.

Obviously this site can't get a private site torrent for you, seeing as you need authentication to visit the site in the first place.

Although if it actually did manage to grab a .txt of a private torrent, I don't really see how it would be against any kind of rules, it should be fine. It doesn't do anything tracker side, it's just another way to download the torrent.
    Last edited by Rart; 01-01-2010 at 12:52 AM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    TraLaLa's Avatar knowledge is power BT Rep: +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    BCG has this feature as well.

I think it's mainly just for people in college/other monitored ISPs that block the downloading of .torrent files, so they can simply download it as a .txt extension.

Obviously this site can't get a private site torrent for you, seeing as you need authentication to visit the site in the first place.

Although if it actually did manage to grab a .txt of a private torrent, I don't really see how it would be against any kind of rules, it should be fine. It doesn't do anything tracker side, it's just another way to download the torrent.

i saw on trackers the option to download torrents also as a text file, so i guess its no need for this crappy site or not ?
    Last edited by TraLaLa; 01-01-2010 at 12:56 AM.

“The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to an opponent, tolerance; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect; to all men, charity.”

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice10UFO View Post
    i saw on trackers the option to download torrents also as a text file, so i guess its no need for this crappy site or not ?
    Not when the tracker already has that option, and of course not if your ISP doesn't block .torrent downloading.