Thread: Study: Internet Addicts Are Like Drug Addicts

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Study: Internet Addicts Are Like Drug Addicts
    By Kevin Parrish, published on October 6, 2009

" What are you addicted to?

Researchers in Taiwan have finally labeled the mental red flags that may possibly lead to a future of "Internet addiction," especially with young adults. The team hopes that this list will provide parents with a visual guideline that could ultimately prevent children from taking on such a dirty, nasty habit.

New Scientist reports that the research team was led by psychologist Chih-Hung Ko of Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital. The research enlisted roughly 2300 11-year-olds, and--for two years--required them to fill in forms every six months that detailed their time spent online. The research discovered that 11-percent of the test subjects walked away from the experiment mutated with an "unhealthy obsession" with the Internet.

So what do parents and concerned friends need to look for? How is Internet addiction diagnosed? The study discovered that depression, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, social phobia, and hostility were found to predict the occurrence of Internet addiction. Hostility and ADHD serve as the most significant predictors for boys, whereas social phobia and depression were named as strong predictors for girls.

"This means sex differences should be taken into consideration when developing prevention and intervention strategies for internet addiction," the report said. It also clarified that the study's overall intention is not to be an alarmist, but to alert Pediatricians to a possible "major public health problem." Still, based on the addiction signs listed above, everyone in the world could be an Internet addict, even those who are writing, editing, and reading this news article.

What's your addiction? Online games like MMO? Facebook and Twitter? IM? Other unmentionables? Tell us in the comments! "

Source: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Internet...news-4797.html

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Can't win for losin'.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    darkstate01's Avatar Poster
    Watch a docu/film called "second skin" about what can happen to you If you do get a computer based Addiction,example playing games.
    Theres a few people who have wasted vast amounts of their precious time stuck in front of there computer,they have also lost their jobs,companies,relationships/families/and even 1 fat ass lost his life stuck to his chair pissing in bottles so he didn't have to waste time standing up and going to the toilet, The sad sack wasn't found till days later by his own mother.
    Remember boys and girls To much of anything can kill you...muhahahahaha
    PAIN is just WEAKNESS leaving the body

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    I saw that movie too.
    Do you remember the part of the online wedding? ffs...

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    darkstate01's Avatar Poster
    Yes very funny i thought.
    But I'm happy to see at least 1 of the losers had got his ass in gear and switched off the PC and got his life back on track after losing his house,wife,and company only to watch his friend then turn the PC back on and take up where he had left off.
    Some very sad people in that film/docu I thought, I didn't think people really took the PC that serious,How wrong I was. The rock bottom I thought which will stick in my mind was the sad sack who died in front of his PC playing that faggot game WORLD OF WARCRAFT sad sad man.
    GET A FU*KING LIFE Don't die playing a game FFS.Lazy fat fu*ker ...
    PAIN is just WEAKNESS leaving the body

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Honestly, human beings really need another "classification" for how people are huh.

Some call it devotion, others call it passion, few even call it a hobby or dedication. The medical industry (truly a business out to make money, they have business plans and investors, these are people that need to see monetary growth potential) call it an addiction. So naturally, there is money to be had with calling people who surf the net an addict, charge money for the programs and pills to make us all vegetables.

When will the hospitals start studying the folks that try to make everything an illness and everything a classification. I'd say thats an addiction, just like making money at all costs.

Sure, some folks may have died doing dumb things but thats not the addiction, thats a mixture of laziness and stupidity. I cant remember the last time I saw someone start convulsing in a fit of internet withdrawal but hey, thats just me.
    Last edited by reaktor; 10-08-2009 at 10:36 PM.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    That devil photo is priceless! =)