Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK law on downloading - not uploading

hi all,

just wanted to know because as far as i was aware it is only illegal to 'Share' your files over p2p networks etc. so is downloading only e.g. rapidshare or newsgroups also illegal in the eyes of UK law?

also whats happening here in the UK. i have heard a bit about government proposals to try and get ISPs to police the internet and use DPI! surely that is a breach of data protection. is this or could this really happen?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    That can't with Newsgroups, common carrier law...and most are located in the states.
    [center]

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    sorry, how do you mean SOL?

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    [center]

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    so as its a common carrier people who download of the network isn't to blame?

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Varna
    Quote Originally Posted by djkemp1 View Post
    hi all,

just wanted to know because as far as i was aware it is only illegal to 'Share' your files over p2p networks etc. so is downloading only e.g. rapidshare or newsgroups also illegal in the eyes of UK law?

also whats happening here in the UK. i have heard a bit about government proposals to try and get ISPs to police the internet and use DPI! surely that is a breach of data protection. is this or could this really happen?
    I'm pretty certain the law would argue that irrespective of how you got it, the fact you didnt pay for it or obtain it from a legal source would identify it as illegal.

I'm not too sure though, but if I were from a Music business or Film maker, I probably wouldnt care how you got it, id still see it as illegal if youve not brought it.

That said, im guessing most ISP's if monitoring you would be looking at people who use common apps to download stuff like Kazaa, Limewire or maybe bitTorrent as your uploading also?

If your using newsgroups, you can use SSL and also I guess its harder for them to catch you? I dont really know but I prefer .nzb downloading as no slow net speeds when downloading and never needing to wait a year for seeds.

Ive probably not helped, sorry!

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    darkstate01's Avatar Poster
    Doesn't common sense kick in when you ask a question like is it illegal to download or upload illegally got/recieved files? If you have to upload or download illegal files, as the user above said SSL will save you hassle as all the data streamed between you and the server will be encrypted.
    PAIN is just WEAKNESS leaving the body

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    i wasn't saying that i download or upload, i was just asking as a question really as like i say, i heard in the news that the uk are trying to get tighter on downloading laws etc and a way of this would be to use DPI and i just think that if they are allowed to use DPI then every persons privacy is at risk who uses the internet. does anyone else know about this or have any views?

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Basically they are never gonna sue someone who only downloaded it. Why because when they goto court you could turn round and say look I already have a legal copy I was merely obtaining a back up copy as per the law allows.

Where if you are caught uploading it you can't say you own the copyrights.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    ah i see jimmy, thank you for the explanation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast