Thread: The World Of BLU------- Makes Me Go-- Wooooooooooooo!!!

drokk54's Avatar Poster
    Well, 40 hours into a Re-Encode of a "grabbed" 40 gig full blue ray rip of Braveheart. It needed to be 25 gig. BD-25 size....... BD Re-builder here we go..... installed all components, and all was going well....... 2 days later....... re-building bluray image structure...... orror building blue ray image structure.........:thumbsdown

That was that......... i really did not feel like starting another two day bloody hard drive grinding session..... I WANTED MY PC BACK!!!!

Dont tell me to go x264...... when i get my c200, i WILL have some of that, but i want physical bluray bd-25's!!.........

I read that BD-Rebuilder backups dont work on all playback devices if you keep the menu?

Well, i can live with that, but then i read that if u do a movie only backup, all you get is an "avchd" disk............. i dont want one of those...... i want a proper BLURAY STRUCTURE disk on BD-25. Even if its movie only..... Is it so hard?

Are we a way off yet, tool-wise?

Or have we become so cheap-ass x264 tight ass moffo's?

Where is the blu-ray equivalent of the DVD-5 from DVD9 scene dvd rip that will just work on every damn player........ (unless it was made in 1997).

What tools do i need for my dream.......?

Do they exist? Do they work?

What is BLUCLONER? Can i do a DVD-shrink job with it from a structure already on my HD?

Will i find the answers to these questions or will i have to wait some mo0re years...?

Thanks to all........... Your all
    Judge Drokk-ANARCHY

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    drokk54's Avatar Poster
    omg
    Judge Drokk-ANARCHY

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    ronscores's Avatar Bludgeoning Boner!!
    All that I can see is, over time our digital media greed has grown exponentially! I guess we waste more time in encoding/ripping/downloading rather than enjoying the actual flicks.

Just my two cents.

There'll be a tech guy who'd probably give you a solution. That's not me

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    drokk, there is a tool for you questions, and it's name is Google.

There is also a site for that question, it's called Videohelp.

Just Google how to shrink BD50 and you will get a lot of hits.
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 10-11-2009 at 03:29 PM.
    [center]

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    hotshot6473's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    The simple answer is don't change the disk at all. There is no simple fix for fitting a BD-50 sized video onto a BD-25 without encoding. Encoding on a moderate system can take days and during that time you cannot use the comp because it can cause video errors. Plus you have to be extremely advanced at using avs script settings in order to get a good picture quality result.

Get a Popcorn hour c200 and play the full bluray .iso from a harddrive until BD-50 disks are cheaper.
    Last edited by hotshot6473; 10-12-2009 at 05:40 PM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    drokk54's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by hotshot6473 View Post
    The simple answer is don't change the disk at all. There is no simple fix for fitting a BD-50 sized video onto a BD-25 without encoding. Encoding on a moderate system can take days and during that time you cannot use the comp because it can cause video errors. Plus you have to be extremely advanced at using avs script settings in order to get a good picture quality result.

Get a Popcorn hour c200 and play the full bluray .iso from a harddrive until BD-50 disks are cheaper.

... ive actually got a Popcorn Hour c200 on order Direct, but pre-orders ane going out SLOOOW.......... even slower than re-coding to bd25.

Juwt wanna box and shelf some nice BD's.......... trade em with buddy's, ya know........ but new tools and FASTER PC needed! lol
    Judge Drokk-ANARCHY

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    The recode s/w for BR is still a bit at the starting gate, as you found out with the BR-Rebuilder.

The big hump in the SD DVD early days was the Mpeg2 video encoder/re-encoder. Although there were a couple PD types, commercial encoders (like CCE/Cinema Craft Encoder) was, and is still, the best. But at several hundred dollars, 'cracked' versions flooded both usenet and the torrents. Audio, whether Dolby or DTS, was playable (and decoded) by most players, and processed by most audio/receiver setups, so although the DTS was considered by some to be bit-excessive, the quality greatly
    exceeded Dolby.

Today, the situation with BR is precisely reversed. x264 is a PD encoder, used by virtually all the recode mechanisms out there, including BR-Rebuilder and others. But the audio landscape, with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master (both 7.1 streams), is where the problem is.

DTS did DTS-HD Master right, in that any 'standard' DTS decoder can decode the 'core' DTS within the HD-Master stream. Dolby, however, didn't do the same with TrueHD. You'll find, on usenet, that many soundtracks of both types (and the occasional uncompressed PCM 5.1), are processed via a program called 'Eac3to' to either 'standard' DTS 5.1 (full rate 1.5mb/s or half-rate 768kb/s) or Dolby 5.1 (generally
    640kbps). Both need, however, commercial encoders to do the processing, but again, 'cracked' versions are available throughout the internet.

Since the audio is constant, and not variable compressed like the video, the bit-space it uses up (particularly the HD audio types, at ~3.5Mb/s rate), are ripe for processing (especially as only those with the newest receiver/decoders have the capability for the HD audio streams). Also, additional audio such as commentaries can be further squeezed by using highly compressed formats, such as OGG, IF the player supports it (like some networked media players, aka Popcorn Hour et. al.).

I've been d/l'ing a lot of 'full' BR rips, and lots of posting folks seem to think (just like with SD DVD's), that stripping out different audio streams (foreign languages to commentaries, and captions) to save 3GB out of a 50GB posting makes sense. Makes zero sense to me. One spends x hours to upload, and quibles about the extra few minutes it would take to include things that lots of folks would like to have.

Anyway, there's many 'guides' out there (Videohelp.com is a great resource), to put together a list of programs and techniques to achieve what you are trying to do.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Just take out the unnecessary audio streams. I've never authored a BD but I have DVD's.

I usually took out 2.0 streams and if it was still too large remove foreign streams or encode the credits.

Now I just backup the DVD9 (I;ve got the space now).
    Last edited by iLOVENZB; 10-13-2009 at 11:53 AM.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    drokk54's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    The recode s/w for BR is still a bit at the starting gate, as you found out with the BR-Rebuilder.

The big hump in the SD DVD early days was the Mpeg2 video encoder/re-encoder. Although there were a couple PD types, commercial encoders (like CCE/Cinema Craft Encoder) was, and is still, the best. But at several hundred dollars, 'cracked' versions flooded both usenet and the torrents. Audio, whether Dolby or DTS, was playable (and decoded) by most players, and processed by most audio/receiver setups, so although the DTS was considered by some to be bit-excessive, the quality greatly
    exceeded Dolby.

Today, the situation with BR is precisely reversed. x264 is a PD encoder, used by virtually all the recode mechanisms out there, including BR-Rebuilder and others. But the audio landscape, with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master (both 7.1 streams), is where the problem is.

DTS did DTS-HD Master right, in that any 'standard' DTS decoder can decode the 'core' DTS within the HD-Master stream. Dolby, however, didn't do the same with TrueHD. You'll find, on usenet, that many soundtracks of both types (and the occasional uncompressed PCM 5.1), are processed via a program called 'Eac3to' to either 'standard' DTS 5.1 (full rate 1.5mb/s or half-rate 768kb/s) or Dolby 5.1 (generally
    640kbps). Both need, however, commercial encoders to do the processing, but again, 'cracked' versions are available throughout the internet.

Since the audio is constant, and not variable compressed like the video, the bit-space it uses up (particularly the HD audio types, at ~3.5Mb/s rate), are ripe for processing (especially as only those with the newest receiver/decoders have the capability for the HD audio streams). Also, additional audio such as commentaries can be further squeezed by using highly compressed formats, such as OGG, IF the player supports it (like some networked media players, aka Popcorn Hour et. al.).

I've been d/l'ing a lot of 'full' BR rips, and lots of posting folks seem to think (just like with SD DVD's), that stripping out different audio streams (foreign languages to commentaries, and captions) to save 3GB out of a 50GB posting makes sense. Makes zero sense to me. One spends x hours to upload, and quibles about the extra few minutes it would take to include things that lots of folks would like to have.

Anyway, there's many 'guides' out there (Videohelp.com is a great resource), to put together a list of programs and techniques to achieve what you are trying to do.
    Information taken onboard....... You talk a lot of sense, old chap.
    Judge Drokk-ANARCHY

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    An example of folks stripping things out of BR rips is 'The Day After Tomorrow', recently posted in a.b.hdtv, with everything stripped out except the english main. The 'full' rip had been posted some 70 days previous, and was 5GB larger, and the 'newer' poster took only 11 hrs, so they saved about 1.3 hours.

What is happening fairly fast is that the stand-alone players are rapidly catching up to the NMT's like the PCH, with x.264/mkv playback (JVC was the first but now there is a couple from LG and some others, but a bit unknown if they'll play the hyper-compressed audio like OGG). So, as the prices for BR blanks are dipping below $5/ea, the potential to burn the x264 recodes (and play they back in a standalone), is becoming a reality (even putting two movies on one disc would work, as most of the recodes I see are in the 12GB range).

As things regarding BR-Rebuilder, I don't think it processes much in the audio arena yet, but it's still very early Beta. Like I said, that's where the real action is when dealing with recoding HD.
    Last edited by Beck38; 10-15-2009 at 06:47 AM.