Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer Help

Hey, my computer has been running extremely slow and i have no idea what the problem could be. Ive defragmented the hard drive and ram, cleaned registry, scanned for viruses and adaware, deleted lots of files, and its still running extremely slow.

Intel Pentium 4 1.7ghz
    512 ram
    40 gb HD
    ASUS motherboard
    Geforce 4 TI 4200

Its a fairly good computer and i havent had many problemes with it. The only problem is its soooo slow. Anyways if anyone has any ideas about how i could speed it up that would be cool.

Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    hmm....where to start..?
    do you have alot of stuff loading at startup?

Open task manager and see what process are running and which ones are using the most system resources.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I just checked the task manager processes and the top 3 programs using memory are Sapisvr.exe with 22,404k, Svchost.exe with 16,868k, and explorer.exe with 13,320k. I have no idea what Sapisvr.exe is but ill check it out.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Sapisvr.exe with 22,404k

That sounds suspicious

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    muchspl2
    sapisvr.exe” is a speech recognition program created by Microsoft and is installed by some manufacturers. After you install Microsoft Office XP or other speech-enabled products by using Microsoft's Speech application programming interface (API), random words or characters may be displayed in Office XP documents or in the Internet Explorer Address bar. This behavior can occur because the speech recognition tool is “listening” to your voice through your computer's microphone and is attempting to recognize what you are saying. In order to remedy this situation, you can turn off the speech recognition software.

Go to Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options

—Look under the Languages tab, click on the button labeled “Details” under “Text services and input languages.”

—Under Installed Services, select Speech Recognition and click the button “Remove.”

—Click “OK” to apply the changes.

—You may need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.

http://www.thetartan.org/97/5/scienc...ology/2073.asp

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Damn that helped so much, now im back in the game with some good speed. Thanks

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    np.
    and gg muchspl2.

welcome to the forums dannyboy13

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Ok well now i have another problem. For some reason my computer always freezes when i try to enter My Documents. And i have another question what program is svchost.exe, I have like 5 of those in my processes in task manager, they all range from about 18,000k to 2000k in memory usage and i have no idea what they are for.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    What OS are you running and does this prob only occur when opening Mydocuments or all folders including my computer

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    svchost is a windows thing, it's normal to have several running...check out blackviper.com for information about xp services.

um...does it lock up completely, or does it just take it a little time?
    Do you have a LOT of stuff in that directory? are you viewing it as thumbnails?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast