Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amd Athlon 64 Processor

And I don't know about the "didn't help much" bit; the extra cache does help a lot--depending on the application.

Gaming would be a primary example.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Adam..I read an article on Toms Hardware and it sowed about 20 test.... the P4 EE and the P4 (both running at 3.2Ghz) didnt have much difference. But thats just what i saw.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    Originally posted by adamp2p@8 October 2003 - 00:36
    I am still unconvinced that purchasing any CPU at this time would be such a wise idea.  Unless, of course you have lots of dough...

Especially this new 64 bit stuff...why pay for it when most apps are not 64 bit?  The price is too high, in my opinion.  Maybe wait until there are actually programs that use 64 bit instructions. 

I am sure by then there will be an Athlon 4000+ available for a decent price.

I am not sure if you made a misake or not but the current P4 DDR 400 dual channel mobos all already do 6.4 GB/sec.
    Yes, I agree entirely, until Windows XP 64-Bit Edition is completed (at the moment it's beta) only then 64-Bit applications will appear on the scene. Adobe Photoshop 8.0 is almost final, but not yet released, because that production unit was made substantially higher, and was only being capable of being tested on the Apple Mac G5, so at the moment, Adobe are porting the version down to 32-Bit.

EDIT Server software is far more advanced. They have taken to opportunity to opt for 64-Bit processers such as the Intel Xeon and the AMD Athlon64 to be installed on the top-of-the-range machines. Microsoft seized this as an opportunity to integrate a priceless feature into Windows Server .NET 2003; 64-Bit processer support. But the 64-Bit Windows XP will bring these great processers to desktop machines, rather than the currently featured server-computers, being displayed from the likes of Armari, for example.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    I think someone has said it before, but as far as I know the Xeon is and always will be a high spec 32-bit processor.

Does anyone know if AMD's 64-bit instruction set is the same as Intel's is going to be? If not, are we going to have 2 different versions of XP (64-bit)? We've been down that road before, with different versions of NT3.x and NT4.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    What I have read (at computer tech sites like the inq) is the AMD 64 instruction set will actually be integrated into the Prescott. But as far as I know there really is no "standard" as Windows has not released any Official 64 Bit OS for regular old people. When there are actually operating systems and programs that use such a set, that will be exiting as it will actually have potential to be very powerul. If you are really interested in that kind of stuff, read the inquirer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12