Thread: Pepsi iPhone App Aims to Help Men Pick Up Girls

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Pepsi iPhone App Aims to Help Men Pick Up Girls
    By Marcus Yam, published on October 16, 2009

" Yes, this is real.

Amp Energy is a drink made by the Pepsi company, and like any energy drink, it must come with a marketing campaign supported by an iPhone App.

The free app from the iTunes store is called Amp Up B4 U Score, which allows users (presumably which Pepsi targets as male) to choose from 24 different female stereotypes. The app then allows users to look through pick up lines and different types of talking points that are supposed to aid the user in "scoring."

For a better idea of how the app works, check out the video below:

[YOUTUBE]MBcQww5z8Uk[/YOUTUBE]
    Pepsi's AMP iPhone App

Some found the application offensive and degrading, and Twitter users weren't afraid to express their displeasure by introducing the tag #pepsifail. The official AMPwhatsnext Twitter officially apologized in a tweet that read: "Our app tried 2 show the humorous lengths guys go 2 pick up women. We apologize if it’s in bad taste & appreciate your feedback."

The application is still available here on iTunes, if you're interested in checking it out. "

Source: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/pepsi-am...news-4848.html

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    What a funny idea for an iphone app.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    And, ironically, Pepsi itself makes the #pepsifail tag on twitter in response to the ad. Advertising ploy much...

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    I don't know what all the fuss is about. I saw all the outrage on the 'net. You could almost feel the flames coming out of the Jezabel website over at Gawker.

The app itself is actually pretty well designed - someone put a lot of time and effort into it and as far as apps go, it is one of the better ones. Would I use it in a situation with a hot lady? Probably not. But the app is not bad for all of that.

People should get over themselves and not focus on the content of the app (which is just for free publicity) and have a try with the app and imagine the same style being used on other topics.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    All in all pepsi broke the glass ceiling by appointing a female as CEO and that's all that matters to me.I've seen her talk and I think the best is still ahead for her.
    This is just people making a big deal out of nothing.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    dadelor's Avatar Supercalafragalistic BT Rep: +4
    I guess this was to be expected..... like they advertise there is an app
    for everything, now they finally have an app to pick up girls. I gotta tell my friend about
    this he needs some help then we'll see if this puppy really works.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    kooltilldend's Avatar One n Only BT Rep: +2
    if only these apps worked...i'd be pimping it up right now rofl