Thread: Are you as mad as Hitler is about MW2?

mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    cancel your pre-orders now!

seems as tho Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is no0b'd out for the console fanboys. i see a complete restructuring @ infinity ward/activision if they allow the lack of dedicated servers on one of the most popular pc fps of all time.

[youtube]1FKty5Kpf4w[/youtube]
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

2. Games   -   #2
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Is this shit for real ??
    Source?

if this is indeed like that, I'm one more buyer they've just lost.

3. Games   -   #3
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    I'm not sure on the source but...does it really matter? I've almost never played a shooter on the PC on an "Official Dedicated" server. PC has far more for it in terms of user bought dedicated servers, I don't see it as any harm, really.
    Last edited by Rart; 10-20-2009 at 03:33 AM.

4. Games   -   #4
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    you don't see the harm in playing a game with who u want when u want? stop playing consoles and start playing with real men & u'll see the harm.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

5. Games   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    I'm not sure on the source but...does it really matter? I've almost never played a shooter on the PC on an "Official Dedicated" server. PC has far more for it in terms of user bought dedicated servers, I don't see it as any harm, really.
    I'm not sure you fully understand the first post. There will be NO dedicated servers, and instead they will be using something known as "IW.net". It basically has rooms already set up. If you've ever played the old Age of Empires or something similar that was on MSN Gaming Zone, you know what I'm talking about.

That is a deal breaker for me. I was planning on pre-ordering this at some point during the week but there no way now. Not a chance. No dedicated servers means no custom maps, weapons, sounds, or mods of any kind. IW will complete control of everything. No clans, no tournaments, no nothing.

"Fourzerotwo" is a developer and is quoted as saying:
    Code:
        *We're doing a lot on the backend to make the game accessible for everyone.
        *There is no delay for the PC version of MW2
        *There's prestige mode
        *Jason West at the MP event, said that he was dead on, on the matchmaking servers. We've been building a system on the backend called IW.NET.
        *You are completely reliant on IW.NET. There are no server lists. There are no dedicated servers.
        *You have private matches where you can customize the game
        *You cannot put MW2 on a dedicated server.
        *This is the first time we've ever done something like this and the team has huge plans for what IW.NET develops into.
        *Customizing your game...you have quite a few options in a private match
        *You're getting same game (as in Console), plus matchmaking and private match.
        *Server admin point-of view, NO DEDICATED SERVERS

yo

6. Games   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post
    you don't see the harm in playing a game with who u want when u want? stop playing consoles and start playing with real men & u'll see the harm.
    Way to completely misinterpret my post... If you didn't notice I was talking about PC's the entire time...

However I did misread the original post. From what skiz said, there will be no dedicated servers other than the official ones hosted on IW.net? That's really gotta suck... That is a huge deal breaker.

Why would they even want to do this in the first place? Wouldn't using IW.net servers cost the game publishers more fees, while user run servers would come at no additional cost to the publishers?

7. Games   -   #7
    My guess would be they want to do it as a combined advertising and anti-piracy measure. You're going to need a legit key for the IW net, so there's the online component that is sort of a less obvious copy protection. And being on their servers means they can sell banner adds, as well as constantly updating any product placement (Today, you take cover behind a Pepsi machine, tomorrow it's Coke)
    I meditate diligently every morning. The subject is Life and Love. I quit after three seconds. - Vash

8. Games   -   #8
    doing this makes me want to just download the game and play single player. how will this work at lans when trying to have a 5v5 comp or something

9. Games   -   #9
    It will fail because LAN automatically means all copies are bootleg...

Same logic used to destroy LAN in Starcraft 2 as well
    Last edited by Rart; 10-25-2009 at 05:14 AM.