Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Are torrent invite communities really trading in disguise?

Albo Da Kid's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    Man...this section has gone to boredom land.. we need to revive this mofuka

We need some fresh new ideas and topics to get the discussions going. It's been a couple of days since I saw a worthy-of-talking-about thread and it's not even even a new topic.

2. BitTorrent   -   #72
    Swift's Avatar twat BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    No

3. BitTorrent   -   #73
    Totti's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21
    Quote Originally Posted by Albo Da Kid View Post

We need some fresh new ideas and topics to get the discussions going. It's been a couple of days since I saw a worthy-of-talking-about thread and it's not even even a new topic.
    Very true indeed

4. BitTorrent   -   #74
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6

I'm sure you'll be able to come up with something...

PS: My 2000th post. I am ze geek.

PPS: I'm not as active here simply because I don't have time atm.
    Last edited by The_Martinator; 11-20-2009 at 01:20 PM.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

5. BitTorrent   -   #75
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Martinator View Post

PPS: I'm not as active here simply because I don't have time atm have better things to do.
    I'm a big believer in telling it like it is .

6. BitTorrent   -   #76
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Haha, you got me.

Not better, but more important and not quite as fun.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

7. BitTorrent   -   #77
    Mostly civil BT Rep: +3

Bring back Swepsycho!

8. BitTorrent   -   #78
    kooltilldend's Avatar One n Only BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    Wow this thread got resurrected

As to the posts about TTinvite (which got this thread back up), whatever the hell that is, please don't turn this thread into flames about it.

KTD, I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying. Giveaways are fine. When they don't have ulterior motives behind them. If some upstanding member here at FST who doesn't live in the BTinvites section occasionally decides to be generous and do a giveaway based on good will, thats fine (honestly that's a little idealist but as long as it's not blatant it's fine).

The problem occurs when you enter an invite site and the entire perspective changes. No longer are invites given based on good will. Torrent invite forums, in the simplest of terms, turn into a game. It's no longer a place to turn to and "discuss" bittorrent. Everyone is there for one sole purpose: obtaining invites to better sites. People furiously give out invites, often without any care, getting banned when they invited cheaters into their cherished sites. Why do they give out invites so carelessly? Because they want rep points in exchange. That's the root of the problem. Everyone is judged not by their traits, but by a numerical value as impersonal as how many rep points or how many GA threads you have. What's the easiest way to obtain a better status, in order to get the sites you want? Do more giveaways.

In this regard, I find it nearly indistinguishable from trading. People are giving away invites fully knowing and expecting what they will be paid with in return. When they give away invites, they demand rep in return. Ultimately, albeit a bit more indirectly, by exchanging these invites you are getting rep points that will pay you back later with better invites. Trading is the same thing. You give an invite, fully expecting something beneficial to you in return. Where do you draw the line between this kind of behavior and trading? I don't know. Do you?

As a side note, even on sites that seem to fare better than others in terms of discussion, still don't provide me with what I'm looking for. The sites feel stilted at best, as if people are forced to artificially post something they believe is "constructive". I don't want someone to constantly be breathing behind my back and making sure my posts are approved. I want to post whatever the hell I want.

Just my thoughts.
    it wasn't me I swear (i'm glad it got resurrected however ^^)

Seriously though, I wasn't really responding to your first post here (which btw is totally true - couldn't agree more with it)...rather my post was against a person who said that ga's are as bad as trading (or something along those lines - as usual I forgot to quote though lol)

Also I understand what you mean by doing ga's just for the sake of those rep points or w/e its called...I've never liked that system tbh as I think there are better ways to assess the value of a member...that said, the same system exists here too (thankfully most people here are mature enough to look past that system - but it exists nonetheless)...so my question is...why have it at all? Its clear that it doesn't tell the worth of a member and rather just leads to abuse of the system (and of the trackers/invites in question)...yet still every site seems to have the system...pretty sad really

To answer your questions though...you are right...its no different (nor better - perhaps even worse since most people see it as a good thing) than trading...doing ga's to random people for random reasons is just silly

Also I've never been supportive of the idea of arse-lickers...if I disagree with something, I say it...I don't care who it is or what it is...I will never agree with something just to get somewhere ....heck I probably would've been on FTN today if I did (that particular thread)...however, I have my own ethics, morals and things I stand by...I hate nonsensical accusations and similarly I hate people who get to places by licking other people's boots

such people, in my books, have no shame whatsoever

cheers!

9. BitTorrent   -   #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    Now before I really go into this, I'll detail what I normally see on FST:

If someone wants to join a site, they'll make a request and post it in the invite section.

After its posted, people will view the thread and decide whether the poster is worthy of an invite.

When they decide whether someone deserves an invite, they look at their past activity on the site. Have they been making useful posts or just spam? Have they made trades or posted in the trading section before? Have they ever had an account before, or made a request before? If you haven't noticed, one thing is missing: their BT rep.

I've rarely, if ever, seen someone judge a potential invitee by their past giveaways. Most people realize that many members are sketchy at best, and they realize people don't want to risk giving invites out on FST (not to mention many sites ban public GA's). Now that's not to say giving out invites would hurt your chances. If you lack in activity, having given out invites previously could help. I've never seen someone post on a invite request saying "You're a really good and active member of the site, but you haven't given away enough invites".

The key idea is that a BT rep of GA's isn't required.

But now turn to torrent invite communities.

I define trading as this: You are giving an invite with the intent of expecting something in return. Tracker staff ban this as it encourages invites to be given solely by the value of the invite, while ignoring the value of the member. This results in more banned members, more hit and runners, a slower site overall, and more work for the staff.

In torrent invite communities, You are giving an invite with the intent of expecting something in return.

Debate it as much as you like, but invites are almost never given out for the sole purpose of giving out invites. "Rep", along with posts, is one of crucial factors in "climbing up the ranks". Every GA has a rep requirement. If you're a 10,000 post member with no rep, you are not getting an invite. Rep is the most essential factor in acquiring an invite. Sure, you may be giving up a precious invite right now, but you are expecting great dividends. You are giving away an invite now in exchange for getting an invite later.

Take for example one thread I had seen. He was a relatively new member, probably around 1 month. I looked at his GA thread - he had SCC, GFT, the works. Oh an I forgot to mention, he had 8 SCT invites. Within a matter of days, they were ALL given out in rapid succession. He gained huge amounts of rep. He was a star in the community. Now, I know that SCT invites aren't given out for free. Once in a blue moon they may have a competition that gives out 1 or 2 invites, but this guy had 8. There was a recent 2x bonus for donations. But that still equates to paying for 4 invites, which is 50 euros. And by donating for invites you get zero upload credit. All given out, in a matter of days, to the most shady of members, collectors on invite sites. Now, you may argue that this was an act of generosity. But that is the minute exception. More than likely, it was probably a member quickly giving out invites in the hope that he would bolster his rep enough to quickly get an FTN invite (which apparently seem to be all the rage nowadays).

I ask you this: how is this different from trading? You are giving out 8 SCT invites, to total strangers that could very well get you banned from the site, not to mention that that's 50 euros in cold hard cash. You are giving out the invites, with the sole intention of expecting something in return: a high level invite because you are now a reputable member. Reputable, not from posts, activities, or past actions, but because of giving out invites. The sole principle that torrent invite communities revolve around. How is giving something and expecting something in return not trading?
    I think (and I don't overlook the chance that I may be wrong but take it as my opinion) that the OP was a bit confused about what he wrote in his post
    Let us look at the heading
    Are torrent invite communities really trading in disguise?
    The way to discuss the topic as the heading suggested was to actually point out whether the rules or admins of such forums were involved or helping in trading. Now that is different from the members of a particular forum or board involving in trades i.e if a few members of Filesharingtalk.com are actively supporting trading it is not enough to declare it as a trading board or forum but the fact is that this site host a trading subsection so it is infect supporting trading as a forum/board. Now take for example a forum such as TPS. At TPS the rules and admins are clearly against the trading idea . There is no subsection supporting trades on TPS so in no way we can accuse TPS for trading if some members are dealing in trades that is there individual act. Also I have my own ideas about trading which comprise of positive and negative trades. These are explained here :-
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-gen...u-think-378691
    Last edited by RizKhan25000; 11-20-2009 at 05:16 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #80
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I'm sorry but I fail to see how trading section here shows that FST supports trading.
    I might be mistaken but aren't allowing and supporting two entirely different things.
    Many States allow marriage as young as 16 ( or younger ) but I doubt if you will find many that say they support anyone actually doing it.

TBS and the like may put themselves in a better light than FST by their stance but it the words ring a little hollow .
    Draconian measures may appeal to those lacking in intelligence but as example after example has shown they do very little in solving any problems ,they merely result in driving them underground.
    At least here at FST some people ,agree or disagree with what they do, acknowledge who they are and you then have a choice depending on your sensibilities with whether you wish to associate with them or not.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 11-20-2009 at 05:42 PM.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast