Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Should "culture" End At The Border?

Poster
    Yes, it always amazed me that they could stick to their traditional dress code even if it meant risking turning into ice sculptures while waiting for a bus !
    But then I see them here all wrapped in those saris in the middle of an August heatwave and I think; hmmm.........either they're made of tougher stuff than I, or those clothes must be made from the silk of magic worms !

2. The Drawing Room   -   #52
    Poster
    I know its applied to men as well as women, but women suffer disproportionately,  because they can become pregnant and because rape is basically impossible to prove under Sharia law. Likewise honour killings apparently can involve the murder of men, as i understand it the term can be applied to any person you kill because they are besmirching your (family's?)  honour.
    Even if a married/unmarried women become pregnant ,in sharia laws,that does NOT proove that she was willingly having sex with another man,One must provide atleast FOUR male witnessess(which is near impossible to find) or 8 female witnessess(making things more harder) and majority of scholars does not accept the use of DNA as DNA cannot tell if the man/woman had sex intercourse willingly or unwillingly,and in Islam,one must not search deep for a man/woman's sins

3. The Drawing Room   -   #53
    Originally posted by human_pet@13 October 2003 - 10:57
    Even if a married/unmarried women become pregnant ,in sharia laws,that does NOT proove that she was willingly having sex with another man,One must provide atleast FOUR male witnessess(which is near impossible to find) or 8 female witnessess(making things more harder) and majority of scholars does not accept the use of DNA as DNA cannot tell if the man/woman had sex intercourse willingly or unwillingly,and in Islam,one must not search deep for a man/woman's sins
    That varies depending on how you interpret Sharia law, there are many countries and examples where pregnancy is enough to convict women and in the majority of Huddud cases (sexual offences), a women, but no man is convicted, which means theres either one very lucky man or men are getting away with it and woment aren't.
    Probably the most famous recent examples are in Nigeria's northern state. (theres stuff on the bbc news website if you want http://news.bbc.co.uk just search for sharia and the top 5 - 10 links are I think two famous cases in Nigeria.) The nigeria examplse are famous because the country is split, but there are many other countries. If you look at execution rates for men and women for Huddud offences in practically any Muslim country to see the discrepancy.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #54
    Poster
    Originally posted by ilw+13 October 2003 - 10:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ilw &#064; 13 October 2003 - 10:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-human_pet@13 October 2003 - 10:57
    Even if a married/unmarried women become pregnant ,in sharia laws,that does NOT proove that she was willingly having sex with another man,One must provide atleast FOUR male witnessess(which is near impossible to find) or 8 female witnessess(making things more harder) and majority of scholars does not accept the use of DNA as DNA cannot tell if the man/woman had sex intercourse willingly or unwillingly,and in Islam,one must not search deep for a man/woman&#39;s sins
    That varies depending on how you interpret Sharia law, there are many countries and examples where pregnancy is enough to convict women and in the majority of Huddud cases (sexual offences), a women, but no man is convicted, which means theres either one very lucky man or men are getting away with it and woment aren&#39;t.
    Probably the most famous recent examples are in Nigeria&#39;s northern state. (theres stuff on the bbc news website if you want http://news.bbc.co.uk just search for sharia and the top 5 - 10 links are I think two famous cases in Nigeria.) The nigeria examplse are famous because the country is split, but there are many other countries. If you look at execution rates for men and women for Huddud offences in practically any Muslim country to see the discrepancy. [/b][/quote]
    But was&#39;nt there a case whre a nigerian woman was convicted because she had an illegetimate child but then her case was decreed null because the people who convicted her could&#39;nt give 4 male witnesses or any witnesses for that matter,

5. The Drawing Room   -   #55
    no the Islamic courts had no problem with convicting her, it went all the way up to a non-Islamic appeals court, who then quashed it.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #56
    Poster
    Originally posted by ilw@13 October 2003 - 11:39
    no the Islamic courts had no problem with convicting her, it went all the way up to a non-Islamic appeals court, who then quashed it.
    http://www.islamonline.net/English/News/20...article07.shtml

The Islamic court ruled the conviction couldn&#39;t stand because Lawal wasn&#39;t given enough time to understand the charges against her; only one judge, instead of the required three, presided at her trial; and she was not caught in the act of sex out of wedlock.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #57
    Yeah, your right, I f*cked, up the bbc news site said her next appeal would be in a non-Islamic court & I put 2 & 2 together and got 5.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456