Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu and utorrent

Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post

Also try rtorrent
    I keep meaning to try it out. It's pretty popular, so it must be halfway descent. It just looks kind of confusing to install and set up. After over a year using Linux, I'm still a noob with the command line.
    Last edited by Funkin'; 10-27-2009 at 07:31 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Speedo's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    After installing wine in terminal all you have to do is download utorrent from their website and wine will automatically install the exe file.

Deluge used to have limited options but the newer versions have much the same options that utorrent have. I can't find a thing I miss from utorrent in deluge.
    Thats what you're went to do with WINE .

Check the db to find out if an app has compatibility issues.
    Smartass

Quote Originally Posted by Funkin' View Post

Also try rtorrent
    I keep meaning to try it out. It's pretty popular, so it must be halfway descent. It just looks kind of confusing to install and set up. After over a year using Linux, I'm still a noob with the command line.

I guess you must have read about compiling from scratch, but no one does that any more. I don't know what distro you have but installing rtorrent in terminal is easy.
    Ubuntu: sudo apt-get install rtorrent
    Mandriva: get root with "su" and enter password
    then "urpmi rtorrent"

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post

Thats what you're went to do with WINE .

Check the db to find out if an app has compatibility issues.
    Smartass

Also try rtorrent

I guess you must have read about compiling from scratch, but no one does that any more. I don't know what distro you have but installing rtorrent in terminal is easy.
    Ubuntu: sudo apt-get install rtorrent
    Mandriva: get root with "su" and enter password
    then "urpmi rtorrent"
    I know how to install it, I was being sarcastic in suggesting it. The OP appears to prefer GUI over CLI.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    ^ Definitely. I wouldn't mess around with Wine and Windows clients too much unless you have to.
    Sorry to criticise, but that is very poor advice. uTorrent works PERFECTLY under Wine on Ubuntu. I've been using it for years without a single problem.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Speedo's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Yes,some programs work under WINE but there is no real need for them to.
    Deluge has been an utorrent alternative for a while now, a long with many other clients.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16

Also try rtorrent
    Sorry I missed your post.

CLI is a pain in the ass when you miss characters

Here are some articles you should look into:

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/05...nt-like-a-pro/
    http://ditoinfo.wordpress.com/2007/0...load-torrents/

I haven't touched torrents in a while so I'm a little rusty. If you're on private trackers ask in the forums or IRC channel (that's how I learnt).
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Unstable1 View Post
    Sorry to criticise, but that is very poor advice. uTorrent works PERFECTLY under Wine on Ubuntu. I've been using it for years without a single problem.
    Sorry to criticize your criticism, but just because one Windows app works descently on Linux under Wine doesn't mean that all do. Tons of apps under Wine have some type of problem.

And there's always a Linux alternative for whatever Windows app you're wanting to use.

So why exactly would suggesting to use native Linux applications on Linux be poor advice?

Anyways, thanks for that Speedo. I thought compiling was still the only way to get rtorrent working(admittedly it's been a while since I've looked into it). And thank you ILOVENZB for the articles and advice.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Unstable1 View Post
    Sorry to criticize your criticism, but just because one Windows app works descently on Linux under Wine doesn't mean that all do. Tons of apps under Wine have some type of problem.
    Rubbish

You said:

^ Definitely. I wouldn't mess around with Wine and Windows clients too much unless you have to.
    That is what you said, and it's bollocks. There is no reason in the world not to use utorrent under wine. It works faultlessly. Fuck deluge, the topic of the thread is utorrent, not deluge. If someone wants to use utorrent in wine because they like that client, there is no reason why they should not. None. End of.

So stop telling people it's a bad idea, because you're talking crap.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Where did I say it was a bad idea to use uTorrent? Now who's talking "rubbish"..."mate". Since he was having trouble with Utorrent under Linux, all that I told him was that there was no reason to use it as there's a native client that is just as good or better than uTorrent.

I don't know if you're one of those lame uTorrent fanboys and thought I was talking shit about your client, but I wasn't. Just offering some advice.

Now was that any reason to act like a bitch over? Didn't think so. None. End of.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    This is the trouble with new Linux users. They're trying to make apps run as they used to on Windows.

Deluge is becoming a nice app, very similar to utorrent. So it's not daunting for new users.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast