Thread: Strange speed slowdown

Hello everyone, i hope someone can shed some light on this issue, i've tried everything i can think of...

First, my setup:

- iMac 3.06GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB ram
    - based in London
    - sky broadband max with the default Netgear router
    - average download speeds of 16000 kbps
    - Thundernews Unlimited usenet account with 20 connections and secure EU/US servers
    - variety of software (nzbdrop, unison etc)

The problem:

After a few minutes (sometimes shorter, sometimes longer) of downloading with great speeds (16000kbps) i experience a slowdown to about 200kbps.

Occasionally it works fine, and previously it has worked ok.

Also, if i pause the download then restart it, i get the fast speeds again... until it slows down.

There are no errors from any of the software: missing files, timeouts etc.

I have tried:

- every piece of software i can (including running pc software via parallels)
    - all servers, both US and EU and secure and non-secure
    - all available ports (non: 119, 443, 8080 secure: 563, 80 or 81) with every server as above
    - contacting thundernews support (not much help)
    - only downloading between 12am-7am (non-peak)
    - tried sky broadband forums (consensus is they don't throttle night-times, better to use secure)
    - using nzb files, or browsing with unison
    - i don't have a firewall

Can anyone help with this matter? i think i have tried as much as i can... now im tearing my hair out

Thanks in advance,

Mother
    x

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Ok you said they don't throttle, is that from "actually Sky Broadband Employees?"

Also, just a simple check, un plug your router, and modem for about 5 minutes and re plug in and try your downloads and see what happens, I knows it's not as easy as that, but it worked for me.

If could very well be your modem or router.

But I'll let some other experienced i-net vets chime in, because I'm not all that of a guru at internet connections and speed issues.
    [center]

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Thanks for the info - with regards to whether they were employees, im not too sure, maybe not (can anyone else verify this?)

I have just turned off the router from the plug, left for 30 mins, then restarted, but still the same, was downloading at 15000kbps, for 15 mins, then down to 50kbps...

any other ideas would be grately appreciated.

thanks

Mother
    x

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    I would have to say, ever you have a bottleneck somewhere or it's your ISP throttling you. The only way to test this theory is on a fresh install with no other software installed buy your Usenet client.
    [center]

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Call your isp and complain. You're either getting throttled or there is a problem on the line, either way a 5 minute call will sort it out.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    NiKRuLeZ's Avatar µTorrent BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Definately ISP throttling you! Try changing to higher range of ports!

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by NiKRuLeZ View Post
    Definately ISP throttling you! Try changing to higher range of ports!
    I have tried:
    - all servers, both US and EU and secure and non-secure
    - all available ports (non: 119, 443, 8080 secure: 563, 80 or 81) with every server as above
    [center]

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    well, i have created a new account with Giganews which has been working very well for the past few days, no problem at all.

but i still don't know if its the ports (giganews use different ports) or the server provider (thundernews).

oh well, at least its working... for now...

thanks for all the advice.

mother
    x