Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What newsgroups servers do you connect to?

Question Mark

I just use my ISP's otherwise I would have to pay for connection to one.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    newsgroupie
    There are many discussion threads on this topic.

If you're lucky enough to have a ISP that (still) offers good usenet service and you're happy with it, then there's probably no need to look any further.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by nyknicks View Post
    I just use my ISP's otherwise I would have to pay for connection to one.

thanks for the insight
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    I did a search on here before I posted but I didnt see any.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Well, as virtually all (and I mean ALL) isp's in the U.S. have long ago killed their usenet operations, or, for those who contracted out xxx bytes to Giganews or whoever, is....

Zilch now. Those threads are pretty long in the tooth. Again, most isp's are intent on eliminating anything that might actually get those paying users to USE some of the bandwidth they buy (oh horrors! ), and now the big fight (going on in the regulatory agencies like the FCC), is can they shape, delay, skew, restrict, or otherwise mangle their 'users' (the idea that those folks are 'paying customers' long ago having bitten the dust) connections is in high form right now.

In other words, they want your money without actually giving you any value in return. This is known as 'business'. As in... 'giving you the...'
    Last edited by Beck38; 10-27-2009 at 02:34 AM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    newsgroupie
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    Well, as virtually all (and I mean ALL) isp's in the U.S. have long ago killed their usenet operations, or, for those who contracted out xxx bytes to Giganews or whoever, is....

Zilch now.
    Sadly, most non-European ISPs never had decent binary usenet, and I agree that over the last 2 years all but a few US ISPs canceled ISP-provided usenet access completely.

However, I can name one major American ISP that still has outstanding usenet service: Charter - which (in my experience) offers unlimited & unthrottled access to Highwinds' server. Other than its one-week header retention and lack of SSL (& no access to Highwinds' European server), Charter's free usenet service is essentially no different from a typical pay-provider like Newshosting costing $15/mo. Hopefully Charter's bankruptcy won't change things.

Just browse through the topics in the newsgroup forum; its hard to miss. Debating usenet providers is one of the main things we do here. (I myself am a fan of block accounts (Astraweb, Blocknews, etc) because I'm not a heavy downloader and the purchased bytes never expire)

In case you somehow can't find any, here's one of many, many discussions:

Which Usenet provider do you use, and how happy are you with it?

I'm curious, what is your ISP and what is their usenet service like?

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    All or virtually all, which one is it?

However, I can name one major American ISP that still has outstanding usenet service: Charter - which (in my experience) offers unlimited & unthrottled access to Highwinds' server. Other than its one-week header retention and lack of SSL (& no access to Highwinds' European server), Charter's free usenet service is essentially no different from a typical pay-provider like Newshosting costing $15/mo. Hopefully Charter's bankruptcy won't change things.
    Cox also has Highwinds as their usenet provider.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    chissprahug
    I think you should search google. It will instruct you the way to build the perfect circuit.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    I'm curious, what is your ISP and what is their usenet service like?
    I'm scared to say now, for fear they read this post

Quote Originally Posted by cola View Post
    All or virtually all, which one is it?
    Virtually all, because my ISP still has newsgroup access

Quote Originally Posted by chissprahug View Post
    I think you should search google. It will instruct you the way to build the perfect circuit.
    I've searched Google before but it didn't help much. Funny thing though is about a year ago I was able to use Cox's newsgroup access for free even though they werent my ISP. I found a list of ISPs that supported newsgroups and the connection info and tried them all. Thats as good as a list as I had and now they only work if they are your ISP. If you can tell me what "terms" to search for that might help. Google can find a lot of stuff, but sometimes you have to feed it the proper stuff to find what you need for more obscure topics.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Poster
    My ISP has a very limited usenet service about 10days retention so i subscrive to Ngroups

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast