Thread: Big P2p Operators Consider

Big P2P Operators Consider Network Change

October 8, 2003
    Ciarán Tannam

It has been known for some time that StreamCast were about to make some big changes to their networks. It is clear that StreamCast wanted to migrate its user base beyond Gnutella. While Grokster who quite visibly have not been supplied with upgrades to their software have had their options to consider. Could Palbo Soto's MP2P network be the answer to their problems?

Slyck had been hearing for a while that a move by StreamCast to another network in particular MP2P was likely to be on the cards. We sought to put the record straight by asking StreamCast CEO Michael Weiss if a move to MP2P was immanent or just a silly rumour? Michael told us "Have you ever seen the movie, "The Player?" There is a famous line in it that states All rumours are true however, the rumours you are hearing are not fully true...well not exactly as you are hearing it." Michael added, "I can tell you that Morpheus will continue to support Gnutella, although we will become inter operable with at least one other network".

He refused to clarify what network this might be but said "A lot of people may try to guess what our next move is, but I can assure you that what we've got coming will be totally unexpected and will take peer-to-peer technology to the next level". Morphues 2.0 failed to live up to the huge levels of hype that surrounded it, StreamCast clearly don't want a repeat incident.

As for Grokster there had been some press reports that they have bought rights to MP2P application RockITNet. This was dismissed by Grokster President Wayne Rosso who told us "I don't know how or where the rumour started, but Grokster has not bought the licensing rights to Rockitnet". Wayne was full of praise for the "terrific technology and has a great future" but said that Grokster had "no plans" to join the network as long as it stays Mp3 only.

However it has been made clear to Slyck by another source that Grokster have made "attractive offers" to other networks. Although the chances of an imminent move away from FastTrack at this time seem remote.

As for MP2P Pablo recently told CNet that he was in talks with all the big operators except the biggest (Sharman). Whether they end up on MP2P or not, expect network changes/additions to Morpheus soon and possibly eventually for Grokster.

SOURCE

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    internet.news
    what I should of this? hmm... there are many shoutcast radios...
    I have never listened to StreamCast, it is similar to sharing, isn't it?

I only tried to install it, but it did not work properly - when hearing internet
    radio I prefer using Shoutcast :)

thanks...
    nice dreams...

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Originally posted by internet.news@8 October 2003 - 22:17
    what I should of this? hmm... there are many shoutcast radios...
    I have never listened to StreamCast, it is similar to sharing, isn't it?

I only tried to install it, but it did not work properly - when hearing internet
    radio I prefer using Shoutcast

thanks...
    nice dreams...
    Streamcast is the company that owns the Morpheus p2p client.

With gnucles including gnutella2, could the new network be G2?