Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uTorrent Unconnectable Issue...No Router!

bumrocks's Avatar Poster Roaster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    I've exhausted all tuts and current knowledge...This is a new issue for me since I installed a new HDD and have had to reinstall everything.

I am not using a router. I am connected directly to a Scientific Atlanta DPC2100 cable modem via a USB connection.

Using Port 50013 (I have tried at keast 5 different ports now as well).

All my torrents are green...But all sites and uTorrent itself report me as unconnectable.

I have changed the port number at least 5 times with no success...

My uTorrent "connection" tab...

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.136.xxx.xx
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 75.136.xxx.x

An error has occurred!

Port 50013 does not appear to be open.

I have no firewall installed on my computer. Windows firewall is not on. I use Eset Nod32 3.06 but still have same issues when it is disabled (have also added the port to HTTP filter in ESET)...

I will say this...I have a crapload of services disabled. Whether any of these effects my issue or not is another question...Just in case here is a list of disabled services...

* Alerter
    Application Layer Gateway Service (Needed for FTP sites)
    Application Management
    Automatic Updates (Just use Firefox and visit Windiz Update)
    Background Intelligent Transfer Service
    ClipBook
    COM+ Event System
    COM+ System Application
    Cryptographic Services (Set on disabled, you might get pop ups about unsigned drivers)
    Distributed Link Tracking Client
    Distributed Transaction Coordinator
    DNS Client
    Error Reporting Service
    Fast User Switching Compatibility
    Help and Support
    HTTP SSL
    * Human Interface Device Access
    IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service
    Indexing Service
    IPSEC Services
    Logical Disk Manager (Detects plugged in external hard disks)
    Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service
    * Messenger
    MS Software Shadow Copy Provider
    Net Logon
    NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
    * Network DDE
    * Network DDE DSDM
    NT LM Security Support Provider
    Performance Logs and Alerts
    Portable Media Serial Number Service
    Print Spooler (Vital for printing)
    QoS RSVP
    Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
    Remote Registry
    Removable Storage
    Routing and Remote Access
    Secondary Logon
    Security Accounts Manager
    Security Center
    Shell Hardware Detection
    Smart Card
    System Event Notification
    System Restore Service
    Telnet
    Terminal Services
    Themes (Needed to display the "Luna" Theme)
    Uninterruptible Power Supply
    Volume Shadow Copy
    WebClient
    Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) (Needed for scanners and cameras)
    Windows Management Instrumentation
    Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions
    Windows Time
    Wireless Zero Configuration (Needed for a wireless internet connection)
    WMI Performance Adapter

Thanks for your assistance in advance! I've posted this in numerous private forums in hopes that someone sometime will have the answer! So far no correct answer to the problem...

bum
    Last edited by bumrocks; 11-01-2009 at 07:01 AM.
    Anal is the only form of birth control shown to be 100% effective. Even abstinence failed once.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    I will get it started.

Can you connect to the internet? Is your ISP blocking BT traffic? Have you tried another computer on the same cable modem? Remove the ticks, uPnP might be needed but I doubt it.

Restart DNS client and ALG in services.msc.

Remove nod32 and try again.

Have you changed net.max_halfopen above ten while the os has changed the max connections back to 8? This is my favourite uTorrent problem.

Out of interest why is your subnet mask 255.255.254.0 and not 255.255.255.0?

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Or you could do the following:

1) Google modem's user manual.
    2) Discover it's a completely useless piece of shit that doesn't mention anything about the fact that your modem has a web admin interface or that it's acting as a router.
    3) Search comments from the first page that comes up in Google (with the search term: Scientific Atlanta DPC2100) for other people having similar issues.
    4) Find that the web admin interface is located at: http://192.160.100.1/_aslvl.asp
    5) Access said location via web browser.
    6) Figure out where you need to go to forward ports from there and use the password W2402 if prompted.
    7) Forward ports and enjoy being connectible!
    *Optional 8) Pray you never get a Scientific Atlanta ever again.

If the above doesn't work of course - I suggest contacting your ISP, assuming the modem belongs to them, and make up some legit complaint like "The VPN connection to my work requires port forwarding and the modem you gave me has no interface to configure it. I demand you give me free internets and a new, amazing Motorola cable modem or I'll cut your fucking balls off!"
    ... or something along those lines

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    bumrocks's Avatar Poster Roaster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Okay...

Restarted services. Removed Nod32. I had changed net max to 90 after using the prog that allows you to change it to 100...But it is now changed back to 8 in uTorrent settings. I have no idea why my subnet mask is the 254....

Still getting

An error has occurred!

Port 50013 does not appear to be open.
    Anal is the only form of birth control shown to be 100% effective. Even abstinence failed once.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Do you happen to have any traffic monitoring or shaping software running?
    Like CFOS or Netlimiter ? Any AV with antispyware? I had a similar problem sometime ago and it was due to some sidebar gadget.

or post a hijackthis log here. It should make it easier to spot.
    Last edited by Cabalo; 11-02-2009 at 03:51 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mousee View Post
    Or you could do the following:

1) Google modem's user manual.
    2) Discover it's a completely useless piece of shit that doesn't mention anything about the fact that your modem has a web admin interface or that it's acting as a router.
    3) Search comments from the first page that comes up in Google (with the search term: Scientific Atlanta DPC2100) for other people having similar issues.
    4) Find that the web admin interface is located at: http://192.160.100.1/_aslvl.asp
    5) Access said location via web browser.
    6) Figure out where you need to go to forward ports from there and use the password W2402 if prompted.
    7) Forward ports and enjoy being connectible!
    *Optional 8) Pray you never get a Scientific Atlanta ever again.

If the above doesn't work of course - I suggest contacting your ISP, assuming the modem belongs to them, and make up some legit complaint like "The VPN connection to my work requires port forwarding and the modem you gave me has no interface to configure it. I demand you give me free internets and a new, amazing Motorola cable modem or I'll cut your fucking balls off!"
    ... or something along those lines
    the link to the interface gets me nothing...

I try this and get...

The image “http://192.168.100.1/” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    Do you happen to have any traffic monitoring or shaping software running?
    Like CFOS or Netlimiter ? Any AV with antispyware? I had a similar problem sometime ago and it was due to some sidebar gadget.

or post a hijackthis log here. It should make it easier to spot.
    I have none of those and when i completely removed NOD I still had no luck...
    Last edited by bumrocks; 11-02-2009 at 04:14 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    DanielleD87's Avatar bunny
    Instead of 192.168 .... try the ip of your gateway Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 75.136.xxx.x but it is a long shot.

Most cable modems double up as a router if more than one computer tries to connect to the cable modem. However, most auto do not run as a router if only one computer is connected via ethernet. Again, it might be a long shot but try connecting your cable modem to your computer via ethernet NOT USB and make sure usb is unplugged. Set your comp to DHCP for that ethernet card and then reboot the cable modem by physically unplugging the power and then plugging it back in.

If that fixes it then you're lucky. If not you will most likely have to call your ISP and ask how to connect to your cable modem to check the network signal strength for potential issues (or some excuse that sounds legit enough for the asshat on the ISPs end to give you that information). You might have to ask to talk to high up tech or that persons manager to get the ip/username/pass of your cable modem but you do have a right to know regardless.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Take it a step further back.

Try your computer on another internet connection. Do torrents work? Problem your modem or ISP.

Try another computer on your internet connection. Do torrents work? Problem your computer.

Dont have access to another persons connection? Make more friends

I always thought that you only needed to open ports on a router but not a modem. Checked http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?num=1243570583/2 and the last post confirms this.

Have a check of your event log (in control panel->admin tools->event viewer) and see if there are any connection errors.

Try Mousee's solution again as you might have typoed the address. (160 and 168?)

DanielleD87 also suggests trying the default gateway to access the modem which is how I get into mine using my usb crap modem provided by my ISP, have you not got a nice printed sheet from the modem box that tells you how to change the settings?

One assumption I am making is that your connection works and you can download using http and get a speedtest, is this correct?

Post a HJT log, remove any IPs of course.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Okay...So I have called my ISP which is Charter.

They guarantee that they don't block ports or have a firewall on their end. The were confused why i couldn't access my modem via web interface at http://192.168.100.1/.

We did establish that telnet command doesn't work (missing on my version of XP) along with some weird netstat stats showing :0 ports...

We also went into safe mode with networking and still could not get an open port...

The long and the short is it may be the version of XP that I am using...

Tiny XP 2008 Christmas Edition.

Before I installed a new HDD, I was using a regular version of XP and I was connectable...HMMMM?

The question is what would this version have left out that would cause this issue and can it be corrected?

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Telnet wont work until you re-enable the service.

I looked through your list and I have these services running that you do not, I followed BV's guide:
    Windows Management Instrumentation (why is this one disabled?)
    System Event Notification
    COM+
    Security Accounts Manager
    Shell Hardware Detection
    Last edited by smcewa11; 11-02-2009 at 07:54 PM. Reason: checked for service differences

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast