Thread: Amazing Photograph

Poster
    I was surfing the interweb recently and came a cross a picture which I found absolutely amazing. I thought that others may wish to see it. As this is from 1999 this may be old hat and if so my apologies, however there may be a few people who have not seen it and may be interested.

I personally do not find this picture offensive or disturbing in any way. In fact quite the reverse, I find it uplifting. However there is an element of blood involved, nothing excessive. As such I have posted a link, rather than the picture itself, so others can chose. Honestly it is not offensive and you would have to be really squeamish for this to upset you.

Click to see image

This is apparently the story behind the picture.

The pictures accompanying the text quoted above are real in that they are indeed photographs taken during a revolutionary fetal procedure undertaken on 19 August 1999 to fix the spina bifida lesion of a 21-week-old fetus in the womb. The operation was performed by a surgical team at Vanderbilt University in Nashville which developed a technique for correcting fetal problems in mid-pregnancy by temporarily removing the uterus, draining the amniotic fluid, performing surgery on the tiny fetus, then restoring the uterus back inside the mother. The patient shown above, Samuel Armas, was the 54th fetus operated on by the surgical team; Dr. Joseph Bruner, the surgeon whose hands are pictured above, alleviated the effects of the opening in Samuel's spine caused by the spina bifida, a congenital disease that often leads to paralysis and other problems. Pictures from the surgery were printed in a number of newspapers in the U.S. and around the world, including USA Today, and, thanks to the remarkable surgical procedure performed by the Nashville team, little Samuel was born healthy on 2 December 1999.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    good for once they're saving children not killing them

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Poster
    ewww wtf was that.... ugh my heart rate went up when i saw that... shit... i didnt read what u wrote i click it first...

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Poster
    hmmm inspired by JPaul I decided to google for 'amazing photographs' myself and just happened to come across a young, dead, South American boy who had just been cut out of an anaconda because it had eaten him during the night...

From now on im just gonna connotate 'amazing' as 'graphic'

<span style='color:blue'>Ladies and Gentlemen, John Frusciante</span>

5. Lounge   -   #5
    summerlinda's Avatar Pyretta¤Blaze
    Originally posted by Dark Side@18 October 2003 - 16:33
    good for once they&#39;re saving children not killing them