Thread: Kazaa Backs Plan That Could

Kazaa backs plan that could spell an end to the days of free music

The world's most popular song-swapping network, Kazaa, has thrown its weight behind a plan to start billing song swappers for their music downloads.The proposal, which could finally end the days of the free lunch for millions of music fans, has been put to big US record labels at the same time as a new legitimate version of the former file-swapping giant Napster is launched in the US.

Kazaa now hopes the music industry will forget past grievances and tap into the cleaned up versions of the networks that already have millions of users, rather than build their own networks from scratch."The whole effort here is to go where the consumers are, to convert all that energy to selling licensed music," said Marty Lafferty, president of the Distributed Computing Industry Association. Nikki Hemming, the Sydney-based chief executive of Sharman Networks, which runs Kazaa, said the business model offered "great hope for the entertainment industry".

Mr Lafferty predicted that within four years of the big record labels adopting the plan, online music sales would outperform traditional offline sales. By that time, he forecast, 1.8 billion licensed tracks would be downloaded a month, worth more than $1 billion a month in revenue.

SOURCE

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Its no secret this is where Sharman has been trying to get too for years...

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    I don't think his plan will work,we are using the same network ,right?Why should i pay?Is the same thing like Kazaa Plus ,why should i buy something when i can get for free and better.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    AFAIK Sharman stills controls the FTN. So those who want free might have to use another. But there's plenty: Shareaza, SoulSeek, DC, IRC etc.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    I don't think Sharman's ever controlled FTN. And they can't, cause the network is, like, you and me.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    if this is true i will simply move on to another p2p that does have free music...

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    tarzan's Avatar lore keeper
    theres always good ol newgroups.
    thats where i used to get my music before p2p appz made me lazy

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Originally posted by MetroStars@10 October 2003 - 13:54
    if this is true i will simply move on to another p2p that does have free music...
    And so will the other 90 - 95% of us

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by sharedholder@10 October 2003 - 01:42

Mr Lafferty predicted that within four years of the big record labels adopting the plan, online music sales would outperform traditional offline sales. By that time, he forecast, 1.8 billion licensed tracks would be downloaded a month, worth more than $1 billion a month in revenue.

Mr. Lafferty is assuming that the music industry will be producing music that I am willing to pay for.
    That is not the case today and I don't see it being the case tomorrow.

Nice try though.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg