Thread: Celeron

Keikan's Avatar ........
    A bizzare question came out of my mind, Wat would happen if i got a celeron 2.6ghz pc for gaming??? Would it be really slow? or decent?

but with 1gb of ram and ati radeon 9600pro 128mb

What about encoding vcd mpegs how long would that take?
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Originally posted by Keikan@10 October 2003 - 17:20
    A bizzare question came out of my mind, Wat would happen if i got a celeron 2.6ghz pc for gaming??? Would it be really slow? or decent?

really bad choice. a Celeron is a neutered Pentium, and it's been cut so that it has poor performance in exactly the programs that people buy faster processors for. it's fine for web surfing, watching movies & listening to music, and using office applications... but it's terrible for games and audio/video encoding & editing.

the old Pentium3-based Celerons were okay, but the Pentium4-based Celerons are just not worth it.

i'd definitely recommend a Pentium 4 or an Athlon XP, and just forget you ever heard of Celeron. even at a slower clock speed, the P4 or Athlon XP beats the crap out of a higher-clocked Celeron.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Double Agent
    yeah celeron suck ass

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    I was planning of getting athlon xp 2600+ 333fsb

I'm gonna use the pc for gaming and vcd mpeg encoding, how long do u think it would take to encode like a "352x240 150mb 25min avi" on the amd? It takes 2 hrs on a p2 400mhz

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+11 October 2003 - 01:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC @ 11 October 2003 - 01:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Keikan@10 October 2003 - 17:20

really bad choice. a Celeron is a neutered Pentium, and it&#39;s been cut so that it has poor performance in exactly the programs that people buy faster processors for. it&#39;s fine for web surfing, watching movies & listening to music, and using office applications... but it&#39;s terrible for games and audio/video encoding & editing.

the old Pentium3-based Celerons were okay, but the Pentium4-based Celerons are just not worth it.

i&#39;d definitely recommend a Pentium 4 or an Athlon XP, and just forget you ever heard of Celeron. even at a slower clock speed, the P4 or Athlon XP beats the crap out of a higher-clocked Celeron. [/b][/quote]
    Very true. The old Celerons were actually just as fast as their Pentium counterparts. Intel actually had to "neuter" them on purpose because a number of folk figured they would buy the lower costing Celeron and get Pentium speeds. So in layman&#39;s terms when we buy Pentiums, the cost difference between it and a Celeron is a "fluff" charge.
    It&#39;s the equivalent of me adding some crumbled cookies in your vanilla ice cream, calling it Oreo Ice Cream, and charging and extra onnnnnne meeeeeeeeeeelion dollars&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I think a 2.6 Celeron system will run okay with most games as long as it has a decent graphics card. It all depends on how much the particular game depends on cache memory--as that is the only difference between the P4 and the celery chip.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Double Agent
    amd athlon xp/barton/p4 processors for me

my laptop is celeron and it sucked dick

i only use it for homework and presentations

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Keikan@10 October 2003 - 17:40
    I was planning of getting athlon xp 2600+ 333fsb

I&#39;m gonna use the pc for gaming and vcd mpeg encoding, how long do u think it would take to encode like a "352x240 150mb 25min avi" on the amd? It takes 2 hrs on a p2 400mhz
    to encode a 25min AVI to VCD? depending on how you set the encoder&#39;s motion search precision... anywhere between about 20 minutes and 40 minutes, i think.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Wow vcd encoding must need alot of cpu power for it to be like 20mins