Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive Killer

Originally posted by lynx@14 October 2003 - 12:38
    @Kiler, if you PM me with your email address, I will send you a little utility which will clear bad partition tables. It restores the first 128 sectors to factory state, which is all you need. You will need a Win98 type boot disk to run it.

If you are coming up with these problems every time you try to install XP, could I suggest you may have a faulty XP disk. It is not unknown for dodgy sources to infect these disks, or simply have bad areas.
    Xp cd is perfect. I installed the copy on all my other computers. BTW, remember I tried ME, and XP home. I will PM you my email. Get back to me ASAP.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #62
    Poster
    Originally posted by clocker+14 October 2003 - 16:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 14 October 2003 - 16:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-johnboy27@14 October 2003 - 07:35
    maybe you should go to this page and download HDD Health and install it on your new drive before you start playing any games or anything and keep a good eye on it.
    What page is that, JB 27? [/b][/quote]
    Oops.LOL I guess there is not much point in me putting it in now as Lynx is gonna help him out.
    Next time I&#39;ll have to remember to paste.LOL
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

3. Software & Hardware   -   #63
    Originally posted by johnboy27+15 October 2003 - 00:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (johnboy27 @ 15 October 2003 - 00:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by clocker@14 October 2003 - 16:03
    <!--QuoteBegin-johnboy27
    @14 October 2003 - 07:35
    maybe you should go to this page and download HDD Health and install it on your new drive before you start playing any games or anything and keep a good eye on it.

What page is that, JB 27?
    Oops.LOL I guess there is not much point in me putting it in now as Lynx is gonna help him out.
    Next time I&#39;ll have to remember to paste.LOL [/b][/quote]
    The utility don&#39;t work...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #64
    ATA Device Features
    SMART Supported
    Security Mode Supported
    Has SMART ever reported an error messages at start up? If so, do you remember any of the message specifics?

Format those dead Maxtor drives; I would recommend the low level format utility from Maxtor&#39;s website, something like 40 kb. It might work with Western Digital drives, never tried it. Maxtor also provides a diagnostic utility. If the low level utility can&#39;t complete the wipe, then I don&#39;t know what to tell you, but it does need to format the entire drive. There is an existing debug script to clear hd partition tables. I guess that&#39;s only good for DOS-windows though, probably not what you need. There is definetly a solution to your problems. If all else fails....
    get a new mobo and stuff.. somethins zapp"in them
    .....then try to get the drives back.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #65
    Originally posted by safrole@15 October 2003 - 19:06
    ATA Device Features
    SMART Supported
    Security Mode Supported
    Has SMART ever reported an error messages at start up? If so, do you remember any of the message specifics?

Format those dead Maxtor drives; I would recommend the low level format utility from Maxtor&#39;s website, something like 40 kb. It might work with Western Digital drives, never tried it. Maxtor also provides a diagnostic utility. If the low level utility can&#39;t complete the wipe, then I don&#39;t know what to tell you, but it does need to format the entire drive. There is an existing debug script to clear hd partition tables. I guess that&#39;s only good for DOS-windows though, probably not what you need. There is definetly a solution to your problems. If all else fails....
    get a new mobo and stuff.. somethins zapp"in them
    .....then try to get the drives back.
    I need to get those hard drives fixed. Give me good software. Better be one i can find

6. Software & Hardware   -   #66
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    The Kiler Posted on 15 October 2003 - 22:35

.....Give me good software. Better be one i can find

Are you threatening people who are volunteering their help? That&#39;s nuts.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #67
    Originally posted by zapjb@15 October 2003 - 22:46
    The Kiler Posted on 15 October 2003 - 22:35

.....Give me good software. Better be one i can find

Are you threatening people who are volunteering their help? That&#39;s nuts.
    I&#39;m not threating. I&#39;m just saying 6 hard drives is not good.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #68
    Kiler, I went back and read your first post, then jumped to the post with more specifics listed. When the problem originated, SMART would have reported any hd errors. If there was no SMART message, then it&#39;s safe to say the problem is somewhere on your motherboard or video card; firmware. The bios is confusing the os, cmos is conflicting the hd, video cmos is contradicting bios settings, etc. There&#39;s no way for me or anybody at this forum to know for sure what&#39;s going on with it.

The software I suggested can be found from the hd oem websites. LLF utility for a Maxtor drive, Maxtor&#39;s website. I think Western Digital has their own utilities but I&#39;m not sure because I have Quantum(Maxtor utilites work for certain Quantums). I definitely wouldn&#39;t spend any more money on hd&#39;s, I would be finding deals on a motherboard. I would also try another os besides xp or me-2000, or different copies of the same os&#39;s. I have 98, linux, and freebsd. They all have one thing in common, operating systems designed to process fundamental tasks without any point-click gui.

Lot&#39;s of variables, lot&#39;s of choices, so good luck with it.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #69
    Originally posted by The Kiler@11 October 2003 - 04:18
    Techinical Information:
    ** Stop: 0X0000008E (0X0000005, 0XF9E41COB, OXF9A46800, 0X000000)

** setupdd.sys - Address F9E41C0B base at F9E19000. Datestamp 3b7d8507
    hi, just wanna say that i have been having these kind of problems too. With an error message like the one you had when i got my pc started again. heres my post: http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=74598

doesnt really mean anything but i can say that i also have a sis640 card and western digital hhd. my post isnt the first prob ive run into with this comp which is comp related. just asking if this i just by chance

10. Software & Hardware   -   #70
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by The Kiler+15 October 2003 - 22:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Kiler @ 15 October 2003 - 22:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by johnboy27@15 October 2003 - 00:43
    Originally posted by clocker@14 October 2003 - 16:03
    <!--QuoteBegin-johnboy27
    @14 October 2003 - 07:35

What page is that, JB 27?

Next time I&#39;ll have to remember to paste.LOL
    The utility don&#39;t work... [/b][/quote]
    Sure, I&#39;m going to waste my time sending you a utility that doesn&#39;t work.

It works for me, it works for other people I&#39;ve sent it to, but you can&#39;t figure out how to use it, so it doesn&#39;t work. Which do you think is faulty, the utility or you?

If that&#39;s your attitude, don&#39;t bother wasting our time any further.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast