Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: D's G5 Mod

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    OK so I'm barely finished with my other water cooled project and I am going to dive right in to modifying an Apple powermac G5 case to fit my PC parts. I know this has been done may times before but I am going to try and add a few new twists to it.

I got the G5 computer from a guy on craigslist who was selling it as the Mobo was dead. I got it for a measly $40. Score!

I want to water cool maybe just the CPU but who knows what I'll wind up doing once i get that far. For now I had to remove all the Garbage(by garbage I mean all the apple parts)Here are some pics on how that went.

Here we are with the cover open and DVD drive and HDD removed.

I cannot say enough what a PITA it is removing the motherboard from the case.I had to remove what I believe are the CPU heatsinks using a T8 torx screwdriver. Some of which were nearly impossible to reach

And there were 2 of them inside here

Again what a PAIN!!

Here I compare Intel and Apple CPU's, small difference eh

No really look at these monsters

Finally i get them both off and now the giant ass motherboard

Next to remove the Power supply and it's innards

I am thinking about using the PSU "container as a home for a new PSU. I have seen this done successfully before and it looked good. Prelim measurements tell me I may be able just to mount a regular PSU in there as well so I'm not sure yet.

So here she is Naked

Believe it or not this took me about 2 hours to do. With all the damn screws they put in there. Also I'm a bit out of my element as I don't usually do any Mac repairs so i haven't ever even opened a G5 case before this one.

I'm working on some diagrams on some ideas to present to you guys but please any suggestions or ideas do not hesitate. I feel like I'm going to have LOAD of fun with this one

So on to my first question about the PSU. Do you guys think I should remove the insides of a new PSU and fit them inside the G5 PSU container or simply install an ATX psu in there. Honestly the more I think about it I think it will save me room and look better if I install a new PSU on the bottom.

Here is a VERY early idea on part placement.
    Last edited by Detale; 12-20-2009 at 06:53 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Nice deal!
    Could you post a pic of the case front panel ?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Sure bud

Also I am thinking of maybe using the corsair H50 it could save me alot of headache/fun. Hmmmm

the only bad thing Ive read is that the tubes can sometimes crack. That would be baad.

or something like this

Damn thi is alot to think about. I have a headache and im going to bed.
    Last edited by Detale; 12-20-2009 at 08:36 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Are these the same parts that just went into the 800D you're talking about moving to the G5-case?

And people say there's something wrong with me for switching cases after five months

I've heard good things about the h50, btw. I guess there's too little water in it or something, so it's not supposed to do much for your idle temps compared to air cooling it with a good cooler, but it's meant to do well under load.

I'd get one if I weren't so happy with what I have.
    Last edited by Snee; 12-20-2009 at 11:00 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Ah yes, welcome to my world.

I would deal with the components you need before trying to fit the ones you want.
    In other words, get the mobo and optical in place (since their positions are relatively fixed), then see what space is left.

Given the heavily perforated nature of the case, air cooling would seem to be a viable option.

How you integrate the backplane will be the "make/break" step of this project, IMO.

Good luck.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    @Snee. No I plan on leaving the 800D alone. I happen to have 2 other rad's a 120.3 and a 120.2. I will buy a new pump res (or fix my faulty XSPC res if I can get it to fit) Honestly I never thought about air cooling it. I think I just like water cooling too much ATM. You got me hooked Clocker I don't think I will buy a new Mobo or CPU either I have a second Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R in my HTPC or if I am even lazier I have a GIGABYTE GA-X38-DQ6 I could use both are standard ATX boards and I still have a Q6600 laying around I could use. Memory I'll borrow from the HTPC no problem.

Once I get the Mobo tray I honestly think this will be nearly a piece of cake (famous last words) The dvd drive I have an idea of keeping half of that shelf that was there.

Here is the tray I'm looking at now Lian Li Replacement Removable Motherboard Tray - PC-6X It's 13" tall which is the max i can use if i am to install an ATX PSU and have 1/4" space in between.

My current concen is the PSU. I am going to get a new one. Nothing too expensive (about$60) and either I will transplant the workings into the Mac PSU case (which will also be cut in half) or install the new PSU all together. Looking at this one now
    OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W it's modular and has decent ratings. Do you guys think I should transplant or leave well enough alone??

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Probably depend on what the case looks like with the board in place.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Yeah I'm going to order it this week sometime. It's a bit hectic here with X-mas and the kids and now the foot of snow we just got

Oh crap. I just thought of something. I need a video card, well either that or a board with on-board graphics. What do you guys think I should do? New board or new card?

EDIT: Just realized i could cop the Radeon HD 4850 I have in the HTPC. Not my favorite card but it will do for now. Uncharacteristically I am trying to spend little or no money on this build. I will have to spend money on the Mobo tray and PSU but I want to try and save money so I can get the thing powder coated. Anyone know how pricey that is?
    Last edited by Detale; 12-21-2009 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Powdercoating prices seem to vary widely and I think it depends mostly on the what the company is set up to do.
    Most of my dealings have been with automotive people and they have large ovens and heavy duty blast areas to accommodate the big parts they coat.
    A place that normally dealt with smaller parts might have less overhead and thus, lower prices.

There's also the question of "why" the part is being coated.
    A more industrial focused company will not be as picky about the aesthetics as one that caters to customizers like yourself.
    Find yourself a car shop that focuses on ricer customization and see who they use.
    At least, that's a start.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I sent a few e-mails out today for some price quotes. Not many places in Brooklyn do powder coating, I was surprised.

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast