Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can You Be An Atheist And A Christian?

BANNED
    This is an article by Bishop John Shelby Spong. He questions whether one can dismiss the traditionally held view of God as a "supreme being" who "... desires our praises, elicits our confessions, reveals to us the divine will and who calls us into the spiritual life of communion with this Divine Being..." He has some interesting views, I have read his book "A New Christianity For a New World", and found it to be broad, informative and challenging. The man causes quite a stir, as Google will show you.

I won't offer an opinion on this, for no other reason than to annoy JP.

"Can One Be a Christian Without Being a Theist?"

Other links.

The Voice.

Google ~~ "Bishop John Shelby Spong"

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Autumn Fox's Avatar n00b
    Just an answer to the title: Imposible.
    Will read the thing you've given links to. Comments later.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Poster

Doesn't annoy me mate, you just carry on. Your the one that got a warning for your behaviour, not me.

Everyone has seen you in your true light anyway, so I really don't care whether you express an opinion or not. Particularly in another of your ridiculous threads.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by JPaul@12 October 2003 - 18:50

Doesn't annoy me mate, you just carry on. Your the one that got a warning for your behaviour, not me.

Everyone has seen you in your true light anyway, so I really don't care whether you express an opinion or not. Particularly in another of your ridiculous threads.

And no one can't be an atheist and a Christian
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    BANNED
    Originally posted by JPaul@13 October 2003 - 03:50

Did you read the article JP? Of course not, not part of your agenda is it, especially when it comes to topics you already know the answer to.

Anyone who takes the time to understand what this guy has to say, would feel enlightened. Unless of course you believe in a simplistic, literal translation of the bible, and an interferring god.

As for the warning JP, I got the same PM you got, probably ruined your chances of the mod job you covert so much.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@13 October 2003 - 04:37

As for the warning JP, I got the same PM you got, probably ruined your chances of the mod job you covert so much.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What has this all got to do with the topic?

God is obviously dead.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean+13 October 2003 - 04:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Billy_Dean @ 13 October 2003 - 04:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JPaul@13 October 2003 - 03:50
    Doesn&#39;t annoy me mate, you just carry on. Your the one that got a warning for your behaviour, not me.

Everyone has seen you in your true light anyway, so I really don&#39;t care whether you express an opinion or not. Particularly in another of your ridiculous threads.
    Did you read the article JP? Of course not, not part of your agenda is it, especially when it comes to topics you already know the answer to.

Anyone who takes the time to understand what this guy has to say, would feel enlightened. Unless of course you believe in a simplistic, literal translation of the bible, and an interferring god.

[/b][/quote]
    Billy, Billy, Billy.... Must you alway&#39;s patronize the guest&#39;s???
    As a newly appointed moderator, I will be P.M. ing both of you chap&#39;s..
    And Billy if you see Rikky boy, can ya say hi for me mate?? :beerchug:

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@12 October 2003 - 17:58
    This is an article by Bishop John Shelby Spong. He questions whether one can dismiss the traditionally held view of God as a "supreme being" who "... desires our praises, elicits our confessions, reveals to us the divine will and who calls us into the spiritual life of communion with this Divine Being..." He has some interesting views, I have read his book "A New Christianity For a New World", and found it to be broad, informative and challenging. The man causes quite a stir, as Google will show you.

I won&#39;t offer an opinion on this, for no other reason than to annoy JP.

"Can One Be a Christian Without Being a Theist?"

Other links.

The Voice.

Google ~~ "Bishop John Shelby Spong"

The man causes quite a stir, as Google will show you.
    Um ya Billy so did Bin Laden, Saddam, Salman Rushdi, Aayatola........
    Bush and Blair have caused a we stir here and there also, Anyone with an educated or even un-educated opinion will probably cause a stir. It&#39;s the ones that believe it that concern me.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    im an atheistic christian.

I attend church because it is a great open community... and i&#39;m forced to

but i&#39;m an atheist.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    Doesn&#39;t one have to believe in the concept
    of an Supreme Being to have an opinion as
    to weather one exist or not?

(does that make any sense?...i just got up)

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast