Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oliver Twist....

I have to read this stupid book for my grade 10 intensive english class, adn I hate it! I feel like taking the book and burning it. Throwing it across the room and ripping it to pieces! AHHH, I hate this fucking book!

2. Lounge   -   #2
    One of my all time favourite films as a kid

Anyway, looks like you have no choice on the matter so you might as well try and enjoy it.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Why do you hate it so badly?

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Because it's stupid and makes no sense, lol. I don't like getting into books when I DON'T have the will power to read it. Who gives a rats ass about a boy named Oliver and a dick named Mr. Bumble? I just realized that most characters in the book were also in the movie "Oliver and company" LOL!

5. Lounge   -   #5
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Because that movie was based on the book....

What type of book do you not find "stupid" or "boring?" Or do you just read because you're forced to in school?

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

6. Lounge   -   #6
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    i guess it's just a gift. i haven't read a book in a whole year now, but just this last week we started a book (also in grade 10 english) called ahhum, drumroll please:

"RAINBOW SIX" my english teacher got pregnant at the last minute so we have to listen to a stupid substitute, but hey, atleast he assigned a good book to us. I'm already on chapter 12! it's really a good book. so like i said. u either have the gift (liking to read), or don't (hate to read bcuz someone is forcing u too).

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Originally posted by Taty Rox@1 October 2003 - 01:48
    Because it's stupid and makes no sense, lol. I don't like getting into books when I DON'T have the will power to read it. Who gives a rats ass about a boy named Oliver and a dick named Mr. Bumble? I just realized that most characters in the book were also in the movie "Oliver and company" LOL!
    Well who cares if some spoiled high school student doesn't like it?

Then don't read it and get an F.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    AussieSheila's Avatar Dazed & Confused
    Oliver Twist ain't so bad! Did you have to read To Kill A Mockingbird? I had to read that in school and it turned out to be one of my all time favourite books.

B)

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Originally posted by AussieSheila@3 October 2003 - 12:44
    Oliver Twist ain't so bad! Did you have to read To Kill A Mockingbird? I had to read that in school and it turned out to be one of my all time favourite books.

B)
    I think the majority of us read To kill A Mocking Bird. And you're right, it is a great book.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Poster
    Dickens didn't really write for minors (I don't know what age 10th grade is) but if your under 18 your teacher is expecting a lot unless she's given you an abridged copy, i know it's a fairly lite conversation but i think you've hit on something to, that it's little wonder people hate reading when their memories of it are reading books that they hated or didn't like, but maybe you reaction isn't too good either its okay you don't like the book what book do you like and if you gave your teacher suggestions would they maybe consequently try to make the class more relavent and aimed towards you and your peers or am i just talking a load of crap

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast