Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: paranoia over filesharing

Blackbeard's Avatar <3 rock BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    No one knows, download Peerblock to block all the ips, I wouldn't recommend blocking education but if you feel safer do it I guess, and use forced encryption is all you can pretty much do, and use router or firewall.

Unless you're willing to pay for a seedbox/vpn or usenet.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by kondrae View Post
    Just think of it this way: you have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting sued for downloading
    where do you get that number ?

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    kondrae's Avatar Trance BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    i made it up

If you take steps to reduce your chances of being sued, like avoiding limewire, avoiding popular/leaked releases especially on public trackers, using private trackers, you'll reduce your chances even more

Quote Originally Posted by cinephilia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    If you download from public trackers or huge private ones, there may be one. But normally you should be sent a letter along the lines of "you downloaded X, delete it now" first. There's no 100% safe site, but generally the smaller or harder to get in a tracker is, the safer it should be.
    that's what ex-UK-T members was thinking before a certain event occurs
    may i say, nobody got sued for filesharing. Only sysops, admins, and uploaders have to worry in that kind of situation
    Last edited by kondrae; 12-16-2009 at 07:00 AM.

Skitt's Law: "any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself"

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    xuxoxux's Avatar Reader BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by kondrae View Post
    may i say, nobody got sued for filesharing. Only sysops, admins, and uploaders have to worry in that kind of situation
    Users generally aren't brought up unless they make really stupid choices like use Kazaa to download music. It is the sources that have to worry.

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xuxoxux View Post
    Users generally aren't brought up unless they make really stupid choices like use Kazaa to download music. It is the sources that have to worry.
    Yes they have sued casual filesharers, it is said that certain sources are safe, but if they're in, they can sentence you in exactly the same way.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    I don't know anyone who has gotten a letter while using private trackers. If you stick to private trackers and use something like peerguardian, you are pretty safe. The RIAA/MPAA/etc can't go after everyone and seem to go for the easy targets, so if you make yourself more difficult than the next guy...

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    kondrae's Avatar Trance BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbeebops View Post
    I don't know anyone who has gotten a letter while using private trackers. If you stick to private trackers and use something like peerguardian, you are pretty safe. The RIAA/MPAA/etc can't go after everyone and seem to go for the easy targets, so if you make yourself more difficult than the next guy...
    Well, people have gotten DMCA letters over at TL, but what do you expect, the tracker has 180k

Skitt's Law: "any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12