Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: missing blocks and different servers

I just started on usenet by signing up with Astraweb and downloading with Altbinz. It seems when I download older nzb files (200+ days or so) a lot of blocks are missing and the file is unable to be repaired with the par2 files. My question is: If I switch to another one of Astrawebs's servers (they give me 5 or so to choose from), will this have any effect on my file completion?

I suppose I could test it out myself but I'd rather not if it's a waste of time.

Any insights are appreciated.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Try the Eu/Astraweb if you have missing parts on the US server. Works for me.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    That's a rare case where something like that would happen, I'm downloading something that is 398 Days right now and only has like 10 or so missing blocks....so they were probably broken when they first got uploaded.
    [center]

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Thanks for the input.

FYI I did try a european server and one of the files that was missing around 400 blocks on the U.S. server was able to download and repair with no problem on the europe server. Speeds were slightly slower but not much. THanks again.
    Last edited by blazer22; 12-11-2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Use a multiserver newsreader and have a 2nd Astraweb server as a backup for the other.

US + US SSL

or

US SSL + EU SSL

etc.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mesaman View Post
    Use a multiserver newsreader and have a 2nd Astraweb server as a backup for the other.

US + US SSL

or

US SSL + EU SSL

etc.
    Thx for the tips

I thought the back up server only works when the first server down not when there is a missing block.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    it depends on the client you are using.

not all are created equal
    Last edited by ericab; 12-12-2009 at 05:46 AM.
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by mesaman View Post

US + US SSL

or

US SSL + EU SSL

etc.
    I assume I could do this with Altbinz...correct?

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    You can have backup servers added with any client.
    [center]

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    I think Grabit is limited in what it can do. It can't be configured to automatically switch to a backup server if the primary server sends "430 No such article". Unfortunately, a lot of people still use Grabit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast