Thread: Weird Problem (help Needed)

L0rD_S0tH's Avatar Poster
    Alright I was gonna check out linux redhat 9 the other day, so I went to BIOS and made my computer boot from the cd, then with partition magic 8, I made a linux ext2 partiton on my drive. I then installed redhat via the cd and used GRUB for the boot mode, and everything installed fine, but when I tried to load Redhat my screen would go blank like I had just shut my computer off (green light turned orange), when I looked at the screen on my TV I saw it did load to redhat stratup screen I just couldn't see it on my monitor for some reason. ANyhow to make a long story short I decided to just get rid of Redaht so I went into xp pro and delted the linux partitions (swap, boot and ext) with parttion magic.

then for soem reason when I restarted my computer it wouldn't load into the login screen, it would say GRUB_ and then hang there forever. I couldn't figure out what was wrong and since I had backed up important info onto my external harddrive I decided to just reinstall windows, so I reformated the windows partition (which was the only one I had at the moment) and installed xp pro again. Now here's the weird thing, My USB are not working, I can't recognize my scanner or my external harddrive (which has all my backup stuff including important school stuff) nor will it recognize my key drive which I used to transfer data between my computer and computers at school. I tried uninstalling the USB drivers via the device manager and reinstalling them and that don't work. I don't have a clue what I did to screw things up, but I really, really need some help. If anyone canhelp me get my USB devices working again I'd appreciate it immensly. Thanks and sorry for the long story.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    bump for this guy...annoying problems

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    I had a similar problem when i used my usb modem it refused to work after i used linux.

I found pluging them in while windows was started cured it for some very odd reason i never truely understood. voodoo magic maybe

o.k now back to linux it sounds like you had your refresh rate set too high for your monitor you should have just lowered it and i bet it would have worked.

then you deleted linux and windows why? all you had to do was plonk your win xp disk in go to recovery and run fixmbr. that would sort out your master bootrecord and you would have been able to use windows again.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    For the record, you don't have to use a partitioning program to install linux in a dual boot enviroment. It will create partitions for you and you can even use the linux boot loader to load windows by default. I have no idea if thats related to your problem but its just a little info for you.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by 4play@13 October 2003 - 15:07
    I had a similar problem when i used my usb modem it refused to work after i used linux.

I found pluging them in while windows was started cured it for some very odd reason i never truely understood. voodoo magic maybe

o.k now back to linux it sounds like you had your refresh rate set too high for your monitor you should have just lowered it and i bet it would have worked.

then you deleted linux and windows why? all you had to do was plonk your win xp disk in go to recovery and run fixmbr. that would sort out your master bootrecord and you would have been able to use windows again.
    I was gonna reinstall windows anyhow so it wasn't a big deal.

Well, I tried what you recommended to no avail. I then used partition magic and deleted my windows partition completely, and then installed windwos again and it still won't recognize my USB ports. What is keeping windows from recognizing my USB devices? ARGGGG! Any other ideas?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Well, I guess i figured it out. While cruising the device manager I noticed a Question mark icon labeled other devices. I opened it and saw I needed to reinstall the controllers for the USB device. I opened that, windows searched for the controllers, found them, installed them and all my USB devices appeared afterwards. YES! Thanks for your help, though.

Now back to partitioning and installing redhat...LOL