Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheists and christmas

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    The Internet may be a different matter.
    Yep.

Thing is that I'd wager I live in a country far more secular than yours (I'm assuming you're an anglo of some sort), and the regular response if you'd ask people I spend time with here whether they believe in God would be either a vague 'well, I believe there's something...' or 'meh'. None of them have labeled themselves an atheist, either. Well, there was this one guy. He was really into Chomsky or something. We may have atheists here, but no one not religious cares much about the supernatural, other than it being a neat story.

The ones who've labeled themselves thus I've run into on the internet I can remember (chalice being the exception) have almost all said things I've found less than agreeable in threads about religion, ranging from jumping in and blaming Religion (christianity really, no one ever remembers that some religions have had virtually no ill effects on society) for everything people have done in its name, to just being very very smug about 'knowing better'.

Ran into a guy the other week who turned a discussion of spirituality into 'religion has never done anything good for us'*. And then went off about the burden of proof and all that.

When people start attaching that kind of label to themselves, I consider it a warning sign, nowadays.

EDit: For the record, I'm not belonging to any religion (except possibly my own, depending on my mood, and how drunk I am).

*Nearly forgot about his mate Mr if-you-don't-follow-everything-in-the-bible-you're-not-a-christian.
    Last edited by Snee; 01-16-2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Had company, missed a couple of sentences. And buggered up the grammar. Damn it. Damn it all to hell.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #62
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ugk4life View Post

yeah, u sure didn't read all of it b/c atheism does fit anything u highlighted, especially if u read the rest of the description. if atheism is a religion i guess football in texas is religion too. nice try dr. snee, maybe next time!
    Yeah, 'cept I didn't highlight that.

And for fuck's sake, those a's, b's, and c's, and so forth are alternative definitions. It's kind of how a dictionary works.
    u might as well have highlighted it, u agreed with the guy. i guess by your lazy use and misunderstanding of the term religion, the democratic and republican parties are religions, also. wow, i guess i can make a religion out of any group of people now!

3. The Drawing Room   -   #63
    Yeah, 'cept I didn't highlight that.

And for fuck's sake, those a's, b's, and c's, and so forth are alternative definitions. It's kind of how a dictionary works.
    u might as well have highlighted it, u agreed with the guy. i guess by your lazy use and misunderstanding of the term religion, the democratic and republican parties are religions, also. wow, i guess i can make a religion out of any group of people now!
    Yeah, fuck those lazy types writing the dictionaries. Lucky you know better. We can't trick you, eh, champ.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #64

Yeah, fuck those lazy types writing the dictionaries. Lucky you know better. We can't trick you, eh, champ.
    can't read either can u? guess that's the root of the problem here. didn't say say i had a problem with the dictionary, just the "lazy use and misunderstanding" of it by folks who r trying to prove a point. btw, my religion is the Nazarene of Dallas Cowboys.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #65
    惡魔的提倡者
    The Internet may be a different matter.
    Yep.

Thing is that I'd wager I live in a country far more secular than yours (I'm assuming you're an anglo of some sort), and the regular response if you'd ask people I spend time with here whether they believe in God would be either a vague 'well, I believe there's something...' or 'meh'. None of them have labeled themselves an atheist, either. Well, there was this one guy. He was really into Chomsky or something. We may have atheists here, but no one not religious cares much about the supernatural, other than it being a neat story.

The ones who've labeled themselves thus I've run into on the internet I can remember (chalice being the exception) have almost all said things I've found less than agreeable in threads about religion, ranging from jumping in and blaming Religion (christianity really, no one ever remembers that some religions have had virtually no ill effects on society) for everything people have done in its name, to just being very very smug about 'knowing better'.

Ran into a guy the other week who turned a discussion of spirituality into 'religion has never done andthing good for us'*. And then went off about the burden of proof and all that.

When people start attaching that kind of label to themselves, I consider it a warning sign, nowadays.

EDit: For the record, I'm not belonging to any religion (except possibly my own, depending on my mood, and how drunk I am).

*Nearly forgot about his mate Mr if-you-don't-follow-everything-in-the-bible-you're-not-a-christian.
    There' be alota long words in there missy and I'm naught but a humble Texan

My observation of the "debates" ongoing are that while both sides, and I say sides to only include the zealots, are offended by the spiritual or lack of belief of the other side, the actual fight is political and not about faith.

Can't say I know anyone that follows EVERYTHING in the bible Nobody wants to stone women to death for not being virgins on their wedding night (as far as I know ), but I know plenty of the kind you are probably talking about "not the Christianity I know from MY bible" and to be honest I find their thinking offensive. They really came out of the woodwork during and since the presidential election.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #66
    can't read either can u? guess that's the root of the problem here. didn't say say i had a problem with the dictionary, just the "lazy use and misunderstanding" of it by folks who r trying to prove a point. btw, my religion is the Nazarene of Dallas Cowboys.
    You're arguing with the dictionary definition you yourself cited. There's really nothing else to say here.

Last edited by Snee; 01-16-2010 at 05:41 PM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #67
    There' be alota long words in there missy and I'm naught but a humble Texan

Can't say I know anyone that follows EVERYTHING in the bible Nobody wants to stone women to death for not being virgins on their wedding night (as far as I know ), but I know plenty of the kind you are probably talking about "not the Christianity I know from MY bible" and to be honest I find their thinking offensive. They really came out of the woodwork during and since the presidential election.
    I agree it's bad when christians do it, but this guy was a self-proclaimed atheist, putting someone else down for downloading stuff (ie 'stealing' ) whilst mentioning they were christian.
    Last edited by Snee; 01-16-2010 at 05:45 PM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #68
    i wonder what grade i'd get if i put a couple of these :p and few in my eng. lit. paper. Aw shucks, who am i kiddin', i'm just lil ol' texan.

again, no issue w/ the dictionary, just the folks who misuse it to prove a point. ok, let me break it down in ruska or rusky or what ever language:

atheism /= a cause... just folks who don't believe in god
    atheism /= a principle... just folks who don't believe in god
    atheism /= a system of tenets... just folks who don't believe in god
    atheism /= a quality,custom or thing, blah, blah... just folks who don't believe in god

u lose again.
    Last edited by ugk4life; 01-16-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: had to break it down 4 ruskies

9. The Drawing Room   -   #69
    惡魔的提倡者

I agree it's bad when christians do it, but this guy was a self-proclaimed atheist, putting someone else down for downloading stuff (ie 'stealing' ) whilst mentioning they were christian.
    Ah I misunderstood, you were talking about a non believer making the statement. Go ahead, make a dismissive remark about me being Texan, if it helps you feel superior
    Not being privy to the incident I can't really comment other than to say while the statement was IMO incorrect as you don't have to be without sin, you simply need to accept Jesus as your savior to be a Christian, I'm sure someone will argue that point but it's my raising, I don't see pointing out the breaking of the commandments as controversial if the discussion was was about religious.

I can see how the "get out clauses" and the "God does not have to prove himself" would be infuriating to anyone opposing the solidity of faith.
    Last edited by devilsadvocate; 01-16-2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: I don't owe you an explaination.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #70
    i wonder what grade i'd get if i put a couple of these :p and few in my eng. lit. paper. Aw shucks, who am i kiddin', i'm just lil ol' texan.

again, no issue w/ the dictionary, just the folks who misuse it to prove a point. ok, let me break it down in ruska or rusky or what ever language:

atheism /= a cause... just folks who don't believe in god
    atheism /= a principle... just folks who don't believe in god
    atheism /= a system of tenets... just folks who don't believe in god
    atheism /= a quality,custom or thing, blah, blah... just folks who don't believe in god

u lose again.
    Yes, I lose at the whole quote-a-dictionary-and-then-arguing-with-the-definition-from-it-and-then-claiming-everyone-else-is-wrong-and-not-the-dictionary-containing-the-definition-I'm-arguing-about contest. It might be because I'm not mad as a box of frogs. Woe is I.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast