Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop upgrade?

Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    Hey guys, I just got the part to repair my laptop for Christmas (its been out of commission for around a year now)

Its a 3 year old dell xps m1710 gaming laptop.

I love the damn thing to death but the graphics card is known to fail usually in under 6 months!! Mine lasted 2 years because I took extremely good care of it and wasn't that hard on the system.

So basically I'm looking to sell it and upgrade to a new laptop.

Quick pic and specs of my m1710:

Some quick specs:

17' inch 1920x1200 res
    512mb dedicated 7950 gtx nvidia
    2gb of ram
    intel core duo 2.0 ghz per core (I didn't overclock)
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 12-27-2009 at 05:51 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    I assume you're in it for gaming, then I'd recommend one of these two:

Asus G72GX
    Asus G60J

a friend of mine just bought the former, and it's a sweet piece of hardware. Quite pricey though, here it costs about 1600€ .
    Last edited by Cabalo; 12-27-2009 at 06:08 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    I assume you're in it for gaming, then I'd recommend one of these two:

Asus G72GX
    Asus G60J

a friend of mine just bought the former, and it's a sweet piece of hardware. Quite pricey though, here it costs about 1600€ .
    Nice, Its hard to think asus is making high end machines, as 2 years ago I remember them making only low end business home office machines.

Man that is a nice machine, but the screen is a major downgrade . 1366x768. The specs are blown out, much cheaper than alienware's comparable systems. Why have a 260m nvidia without a true hd screen though....
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 12-27-2009 at 06:59 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I have an Asus 901 netbook with both upgraded RAM and SSD. I run Win7 on it and LOVE it for what it is. I have yet to buy a bad Asus product. It would be a very short list if I decided to buy a notebook.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    I've the same netbook as MBM and it is excellent, for the purposes it serves. I upgraded it to 2GB ram too.
    I only use it for watching xvid when in bed, remote PC and network controlling (RDC and NX), messaging and browsing, and some OpenOffice and PYME project applications.
    It is excellent.
    I've installed Ubuntu 9.1 Netbook remix, which does a much better job than WinXP and 7 for those purposes.

MBM, which SSD did you buy? Asus default one is too slow, especially the biggest one.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Is it possible to get a decent gaming laptop at around ~1000 usd?

These prices all seem so high...
    Last edited by Rart; 12-29-2009 at 12:46 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820609406

I got the Super Talent FPM32GRSE. It's 32GB and was more than enough for a regular install of Win7 Ultimate. Actually, without being economical on drive space, I still have 18.1 GB.

Everything you need to know to replace the drive:

[youtube]sJdNQk5AfkE[/youtube]

We use ours mainly for school It is fantastic for throwing in a backpack (no worries about damage to the HDD) and for taking on road trips with GPS. We recently purchased an inverter for car use- xantrex 400 plus. No more worries about drained batteries AND my wife can play games while we drive.

Edit- And I assume you are aware of this forum: http://forum.eeeuser.com/
    Last edited by megabyteme; 12-29-2009 at 01:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I agree with @cabalu both of machines are really awesome both machines are so quicker
    Last edited by jerryp009; 02-04-2010 at 10:58 AM. Reason: removed shitty advertising signature.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Any chance you'd be selling your old laptop for a bargain? But on my opinion, Asus has inferior quality standards compared to Compaq/DELL/HP, etc. I'm not saying their products suck, I'm a big Asus fan as well but compared to how they're built aesthetically and sturdiness, I still give the big players the upper hand.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Seems u like a laptop that will max out any game? Get MSI GT740.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast