Thread: Earthstation 5

BANNED
    I came across the following post whilst Googling Earthstation 5. There are quite a few references to this on the net, people beware!!

The inference here seems to be that possibly the RIAA, or some other organisation, is setting up P2P networks, with direct access to users comps, with the ability to wipe out files on your computers.

Or is this all bullshit??

EartStation 5 P2P application contains malicious code

ES5 info
    EarthStation 5 (aka ES5, aka ESV) (http://www.earthstation5.com and http://forums2.es5.com/) is a P2P application first released about 6-12 months ago. The people behind ES5 claim that ES5 is the most secure P2P software in the world. They also claim that they are security experts, and that they have more than 15 million simultaneous users on-line 24/7. In comparison Kazaa, the most popular P2P application, only has about 4 million simultaneous users on-line at any given time of day.

Malicious code
    There exists malicious code in ES5.exe's "Search Service" packet handler. By sending packet 0Ch, sub-function 07h to the "Search Service"'s IPort, a remote attacker could delete any file the user is sharing. If the remote attacker uses "filenames" with a relative path in them (eg. "..\..\..\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE"), the remote attacker could also delete files in eg. the windows and windows\system32 folders, or any other folder on the same partition as any of the shared folders. Since most users using Windows are in the Administrators group, a remote attacker could also delete the C:\BOOT.INI file which is a required boot file used by ntldr.

IMPORTANT: This is not a bug! They intentionally added this code to ES5.

Vulnerabilities
    There also exists a lot of other vulnerabilities in ES5 (eg. DoS attacks, buffer overflow bugs, and so on), but these all seem to be unintentional. Another advisory may have more info on these vulnerabilities, but I'm not their beta tester so don't hold your breath.

Conclusion
    The people behind ES5 have intentionally added malicious code to ES5. If you have followed the ES5 discussions on message boards and read what the ES5 people have said and done (eg. DoS attacking BitTorrent sites), this comes as no surprise. The question then is "why did they do it?" I'm sure they won't tell us, but here's a theory: They could be working for the RIAA, MPAA, or a similar organization. Once they have enough users on their ES5 network, they would start deleting all copyrighted files they own which their users are sharing. The users wouldn't know what hit them.

Source

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Ya, I just read that in another topic, link posted by Sparsely.

Interesting!

@ES5
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

3. Lounge   -   #3

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Double Agent
    i knew i couldn&#39;t trust those isrealis...

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@15 October 2003 - 08:41
    i knew i couldn&#39;t trust those isrealis...

They&#39;re based in Palestine.

You think they&#39;re some kinda of "Behind Enemy Lines"?

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Double Agent
    whatever, but bottom line: they can&#39;t be trusted

7. Lounge   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    I know you meant well, Billy, but you are nearly two weeks behind the times. You obviously missed all the death threats etc. And I&#39;m not exagerating about death threats.

Edit: for clarity, that was on ES5 forum. There was an apology later, but it seemed rather forced.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    a remote attacker could delete any file the user is sharing.

@ES5

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Ex-member
    As Nikita said, all you need to know is in this topic: http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=71360

10. Lounge   -   #10
    jetje's Avatar former star
    please keep the ES V discussion in there.... it will be a lot more clear..

*** this one get&#39;s closed for that reason&#33; ***