Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turn That Pc Into A Supercomputer

Turn That PC Into a Supercomputer

A small chip-design firm will unveil a new processor Tuesday it says will transform ordinary desktop PCs and laptops into supercomputers.

At the Microprocessor Forum in San Jose, California, startup ClearSpeed Technologies will detail its CS301, a new high-performance, low-power floating-point processor.

The new chip is a parallel processor capable of performing 25 billion floating-point operations per second, or 25 gigaflops.

According to the company, the chip has the potential to bring supercomputer performance to the desktop.

An ordinary desktop PC outfitted with six PCI cards, each containing four of the chips, would perform at about 600 gigaflops (or more than half a teraflop).

At this level of performance, the PC would qualify as one of the 500 most powerful supercomputers in the world.

"That's a supercomputer on the desktop," said Simon McIntosh-Smith, ClearSpeed's director of architecture.

The souped-up PC would cost about $25,000, ClearSpeed said. By comparison, most of the supercomputers on the Top 500 list are clusters of hundreds of processors and cost millions of dollars.

The most powerful supercomputer in the world, Japan's Earth Simulator, operates at about 35 teraflops, consumes a warehouse-size space and cost $350 million.

Soon to be in prototype, the chip may be on the market within a year, ClearSpeed said. The company, which is based in Los Gatos, California, and Bristol, United Kingdom, said it will be providing prototypes to computer manufacturers by the end of the year.

When it comes to market, the chip will likely be sold to consumers as a co-processor -- an add-on PCI card that works in parallel with a PC's main processor, just like an add-on graphics card. But instead of boosting graphics performance, the chip will help compute intensive math calculations.

Similar capabilities are already built into Apple's G4 and G5 Macs, which have a floating-point co-processor called AltiVec, which handles complex, data-intensive calculations for the main processor. But whereas AltiVec is four-way parallel, ClearSpeed's chip is 64-way, the company said.

"You might class it as a big evolutionary step of AltiVec," said Mike Calise, ClearSpeed's president.

The second generation of the chip will be 128-way parallel, and then 256, and so on, Calise said.

He said server manufacturers are looking at the chip with a view to building petaflop machines -- monster supercomputers capable of a quadrillion floating-point operations a second -- or the equivalent of 25 Earth Simulators.

A petaflop machine based on the second generation of the ClearSpeed chip would take up about 20 server racks, the company said.

Calise said computer manufacturers are very excited about the new chip.

"Right now it's awe, shock and when can I get my hands on it?" Calise said.

ClearSpeed said the new chip is also very low-power, operating at about 2 watts, which would allow it to run off a laptop battery and wouldn't require special cooling.

"At 3 watts, you could put it in a PCMCIA card," said McIntosh-Smith. "With two chips on a PC Card, you can have 50 gigaflops on a laptop, running off a battery. That's equivalent to a small Linux cluster on your notebook."

McIntosh-Smith said that down the line, a PC Card with a pair of second-generation chips would perform at about 200 gigaflops, which is equivalent to a big Linux cluster and would nearly qualify the laptop for today's Top 500 supercomputers list.

Appropriately, the chip will be described at the Microprocessor Forum during a discussion of extreme processors.

Though supercomputer performance on a desktop machine may seem like overkill, Calise said there is ever-growing demand in science, government and industry, especially Hollywood, for more-powerful computers.

"If everything they say is true, they really do kick butt," said Will Strauss, an analyst with Forward Concepts of Tempe, Arizona. "The proof of the pudding is in the eating, of course, but they do have a very well-thought-out architecture."

Strauss said the PCMCIA card intrigued him. "It's the first time I've seen a reasonable way to get that much power into a laptop," he said. "That it is low-power enough to bring that kind of processing power to a laptop is remarkable."

Strauss warned that writing software for the chip's complex architecture might be a stumbling block, but the company has assured him that its compiler makes it easy to program.

"It's a refreshing new approach to high-powered chips, and they seem to be pretty well ahead with it, too," Strauss said. "I'm pretty impressed. I've seen lots of things like this over the years, but this breaks new ground."

SOURCE

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Double Agent
    awsome shit i can't wait to get my hands on it

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    BANNED
    25 gigaflops.? Pffft! They'll have that in mobile phones in a few years.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Double Agent
    how fast is a gigaflop? is that like 1 GHz?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    BANNED
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@15 October 2003 - 18:03
    how fast is a gigaflop? is that like 1 GHz?
    Dictionary.com

Gigaflop. = A measure of computing speed equal to one billion floating-point operations per second.

GigaHertz = A unit of frequency equal to one billion hertz. Also called gigacycle.

I still don't know!

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Double Agent
    now i am clueless

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    A floating point calculation takes multiple cycles (Hz) so 1 Gigaflop probably means it can do more flops than a 1 GHz cpu, but you can't really compare cpu speed to a chip specially designed to do flops. i dunno how many cycles per flop in a normal cpu (it depends on cpu design and varies depending on what else the cpu is doing, plus i just don't have a clue) .

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    .....so nobody knows how great of an achievment this is, or how much of a difference it will make?
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    damn it seems very powerful if only a handful of these chips can compete with some of theworlds most powerful supercomputers. i guess it can just perform lots of calcultions at the same time which makes th cpu very powerful. the only problem is the fsb on your pc will not be able to hadle a shit load of data like this thing will be able to process.

top 500 supercomputers

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    ilw, isn't this PixelFusion?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast