Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blu-ray capacity increase

NiKRuLeZ's Avatar µTorrent BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    So it has been revealed that Sony and Panasonic are going to increase the layer of bluray to 33.4 which means 66.8GB on a dual layer disc...amazing!

I think the whole reason for this is due to accomodate 3D content without compromising the bluray quality.

What I would like to see from this increase/what would be good to see is the average video bitrate increase AFTER obvoiusly accomodating the 3D content, if there is any storage space left over.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    brightsid's Avatar Larisssssssaaaaaaa BT Rep: +4
    What bitrate has to do with 3d?
    We make a living by what we get,
    we make a life by what we give

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by brightsid View Post
    What bitrate has to do with 3d?
    Nothing, im saying if they have space left over after adding the 3D to the disc, it would be good to see movie producers relaxing on the compression to use up the free space by increasing the bitrate, if available.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    I don't think adding 3d to a disc would really add much size man.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    I don't think adding 3d to a disc would really add much size man.
    Well either way extra space is always appriciated

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Absolutely. I should get me one of those new fangled Blu Ray burners. I have no real reason to tho

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Disk media is so yesterday.
    Flash drives make much more sense.
    The hardware (the drives themselves) are much more durable than a scratchable/breakable disk and all you need is a USB port and it'll play on anything.
    Last edited by clocker; 01-05-2010 at 03:25 AM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Well now I use the WDTV live and it's all I need really. I strea Blu ay's from the HDD's to the TV. I always felt like it's something I "should" have though. I'm waiting for the prices to drop way down still.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Well now I use the WDTV live and it's all I need really. I strea Blu ay's from the HDD's to the TV. I always felt like it's something I "should" have though. I'm waiting for the prices to drop way down still.
    Does that device allow you to play the full bluray stucture? e.g. if you have a backed up bluray on your HDD, it can stream the whole bluray including the menu structure etc...?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    That's a good question. I usually only use X264 files, to be clear you mean the full BR disks at around 40 gigs a piece right? The equivalent of the Video_TS folder on a DVD? I'm going to try one now. I gotta DL it first so I'll get back to you. What file type is that? Like on a DVD it's a VOB and I know it plays those.

EDIT: Reading on their forums I think the answer would be no, but these replies are back in NOV and they had a firmware update then so I'm still going to try it. They say you can use makemkv and join the m2ts files( I assume these are the BR-VOB's) without loss of quality but then others say you can play m2ts directly. I have to investigate like

Also it looks like you can connect an external BR drive to it and play it right from there as well. Don't know how feasible that it but you could if you want to.
    Last edited by Detale; 01-05-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast