Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What.cd changes required ratio system

Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    From what.cd:

We announced a couple months ago that we were going to overhaul the ratio watch system. Well, we've gone and done it now. At the top of the page, beside your stats and ratio, you will now see a "required" value - this is the ratio you are required to maintain in order to keep your account on the site.

The entire system is explained at rules.php?p=ratio. It is not necessary to understand how the entire system works or the math behind it - what you need to know is the following:

What you need to know

This system does not alter your ratio. It alters the ratio we require you to maintain for you to keep your account on the site.

You must keep your ratio above your required ratio at all times. Therefore, you want a high ratio and a low required ratio. Both your ratio and required ratio will change depending on your behaviour on the site.

Uploading makes your ratio go up (good). Downloading makes it go down, which is generally fine so long as your ratio isn't very close to the required ratio. The system was built to reward people who download things (and keep them seeded).

Seeding makes your required ratio go down (good). Downloading makes it go up. Not seeding something you've downloaded makes it go up dramatically (bad), as the percentage of your snatches which you are still seeding is directly factored into your required ratio.

Therefore, seeding and uploading are good for keeping your ratio above your required ratio. Not seeding things you've downloaded is very bad for keeping your ratio above your required ratio. Downloading is also bad for it, and if your ratio and required ratio are getting dangerously close together, you should stop downloading and concentrate on seeding your snatches instead.

Ratio requirements will only be negatively affected by this new system - it's made things easier for everyone.

You can think of it as a dual system. We've taken our old ratio watch system, and lowered the ratio requirements depending on how many torrents you're seeding. If you don't want to seed your torrents forever, don't - just follow the rules of the old system. If you choose not to seed any torrents, your ratio requirements will be exactly the same as they were before the change. If you do want to seed torrents, or if you're having trouble with your ratio, then you can start caring about how many un-queued torrents you have seeding in your client.

Easy, right?
    So, keep your torrents seeding, and you are only required to maintain a significantly lower ratio at a notoriously difficult to seed site.

Good move by what. Should help increase retention while allowing more leeway at an already difficult to seed site. Sounds good.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I think it was a good call on their part. Helps the people who need help, but doesn't toughen it for anyone who just wants to stick to the classic ratio system
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    xuxoxux's Avatar Reader BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_aok View Post
    I think it was a good call on their part. Helps the people who need help, but doesn't toughen it for anyone who just wants to stick to the classic ratio system
    They had made an announcement/post/something about this a longer while back. Thought it was just smoke, but no! I love it. Seeing that lower required value makes me happy for now, that is until it becomes normal again.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    ive been there for a while now, and it has been hard to keep the ration up, but it is doable. the new ratio system doesnt apply to me though.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    torax34's Avatar Toaster BT Rep: +2
    To get this range of requirements to a more precise number, what we do is take the maximum required ratio for your download band, multiply it by (1-(seeding/snatched)), and round it up to the minimum ratio if need be.
    In the formula, "snatched" is the number of unique snatches (complete downloads) you have made. "Seeding" is the average number of torrents you've seeded over at least 72 hours in the past week. If you've seeded less than 72 hours in the past week, the "seeding" value will go down (which is bad).
    this is sand trap. computer failure or leaving for holidays will leave you with 0 seeded torrents in last week, required ratio will go up and you will probably be banned after that.

goin below maximum required ratio is risky business imo.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    woohoo! I have been waiting for this for a long time

I'm glad they made it clear it was a DUAL system - pick one or the other or a combination. The other main thing people must realise is how the seeding method only works WHEN they are seeding, so if they stop seeding, their required ratio will climb back up to their raw (maximum) required ratio after a week of not seeding - and if they're under the raw required ratio, they will be put on ratio watch. so people must still TRY and keep above their maximum (raw) required ratio at all times.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    db_la_23's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    good news.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    good move indeed.
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    n00bz0r's Avatar Say what? BT Rep: +5
    two thumbs fuckin UP!
    good call!

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    What about people who seed a 1 kb/s????
    Should they be aloud to download w.e they want......

Makes me want to go to the greatest recipe site the internet will ever know.

Bon appétit.
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 01-05-2010 at 02:28 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast