Thread: Possible Virus?

My operating system is '98se. I'm using Office 2000 -- in particular Excel and Word. While doing some work activity -- I needed to lower the checks for activeX components. While going to the www.msn.com site there were two viruses that downloaded... wasn't really paying attention to note the names.

When opening an XLS spreadsheet/workbook -- excel returns 'it is an invalid format'. When opening a word document I get 'document is unavailable'. Sounds like the header is changing somehow. They both let me create new documents and save them.

If this sounds familiar -- let me know -- and, I can do some research on how to remove what happened.

thanks, ahead of time!!!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    hmmm

I actully had a problem like this a long time ago

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by a231761@15 October 2003 - 12:49
    My operating system is '98se.  I'm using Office 2000 -- in particular Excel and Word.  While doing some work activity -- I needed to lower the checks for activeX components.  While going to the www.msn.com site there were two viruses that downloaded... wasn't really paying attention to note the names.

When opening an XLS spreadsheet/workbook -- excel returns 'it is an invalid format'.  When opening a word document I get 'document is unavailable'.  Sounds like the header is changing somehow.  They both let me create new documents and save them.

If this sounds familiar -- let me know -- and, I can do some research on how to remove what happened.

thanks, ahead of time!!!!
    can't wait 2 c the answer 2 this 1. i'm havin this same problem right now w/all users that use terminal server - i even removed office and re-installed and still havin this annoyin prob.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    *bump*

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    After some discussion today... I believe this has to do with the file associations -- what I will check next -- as time permits.

Any other ideas?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    www.msn.com site there were two viruses that downloaded
    I take it you got rid of these ?
    What did you download ?
    Go to Windows\Downloaded Program Files and see if they are any files there with the same date that you did this .

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I have not been able to get rid of the issue... still can't open spreadsheets or word documents.

and, there has been nothing installed during this period.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Word and Excel documents can contain viruses but only macro viruses. If you turn off the "Run macros in document" feature you won't catch the virus. By default Word and Excel will warn you if there is macro code inside a document and you can choose not to execute it and can later also remove the macro code from the document entirely.

However, what you have is most likely a few messed up system files or registry entries that are not removed, even if you uninstall Office. If you don't find a manual fix, you will have to make a clean install of Windows.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I was able to resolve this issue --

I log into work using VPN and a product called Altirus -- which sync's up software products.

The issue -- NAV Corporate Edition was upgraded to 7.6.

Office 2000 SP3 doesn't play well with NAV Corporate Edition. Removed NAV -- all is well. Installed the home edition of NAV (2004).

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    Is that a Compaq (hp) ?

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free