Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: If There Is A God

Poster
    Originally posted by clocker+17 October 2003 - 00:54--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 17 October 2003 - 00:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Rat Faced@16 October 2003 - 16:46
    Skweeky, you know these guys....

Why use a word with 1 syllable when you can find one with 5 or 6, its mere ostentaion to impress each other
    RF,

Being comfortable with the warp and woof of the English language is hardly ostentation.

Writing well is an art, an art whose value is being degraded daily on the internet.

Some of us merely wish to do our part to hold back the tide....

CU L8R M8. [/b][/quote]
    I agree Canute

2. Lounge   -   #52
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I thought all phones were allo phones.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. Lounge   -   #53
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty

that joke is just soooooo lame

I love it

4. Lounge   -   #54
    Poster
    Originally posted by Skweeky+17 October 2003 - 01:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Skweeky @ 17 October 2003 - 01:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JPaul@17 October 2003 - 00:53
    My knowledge of the language is sadly lacking.

I am all too well aware of this and constantly strive to improve it. Hence my reference to the chaps here for advice and guidance, which is always very much appreciated.

We are always learning. Grow or die, its an immutable law of nature.
    Yes, I know what you mean.

It was the main reason I decided to study English. When talking on the internet one often gets the false impression English is an easy language, just because of all the &#39;Engrish&#39; that is being spoken/typed. Recently I discovered I still make a lot of mistakes in grammar and that my vocabulary is terribly limited.

So....here I am now, every evening, trying to study that damn phonetic alphabet by heart and trying to see the differences between phenomes and allophones [/b][/quote]
    Phenomes, is that the things that make you attractive to the opposite sex.

Though I have to be honest, I happily use the word meretricious in conversation. Whether it is in your dictionary or not.

Perhaps your phenomes are not working on me, tho&#39; I find that hard to believe.

5. Lounge   -   #55
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by bigboab@16 October 2003 - 17:03
    I thought all phones were allo phones.
    And just how long have you been sitting on that one, waiting to slip it, fartlike, into a conversation?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Lounge   -   #56

erm no...A phoneme is the smallest unit of a language which can bring about a difference in meaning by entering into opposition with at least one sound unit.

e.g.: cat bat c/b are phonemes

allophones are just the different ways to pronounce one sound unit

e.g.: stop top pot the &#39;t&#39; is pronounced differently three times, they are all allophones from /t/

Does that make any sense at all ?

PS: can someone please tell me what metricious means?

7. Lounge   -   #57
    Poster
    Sorry, I would love to, but I have no idea.

I am just a 76 year old Luddite after all.

8. Lounge   -   #58
    Originally posted by JPaul@17 October 2003 - 01:15
    Sorry, I would love to, but I have no idea.

I am just a 76 year old Luddite after all.
    You know very well I can&#39;t go to bed before I know what it means. If I fall asleep during class tomorrow morning it&#39;ll be your fault

hehehe
    *blush*

maybe you can tell me what &#39;meREtricious&#39; means?

9. Lounge   -   #59
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Skweeky@16 October 2003 - 17:10

1 : of or relating to a prostitute : having the nature of prostitution <meretricious relationship>
    2 a : tawdrily and falsely attractive <the paradise they found was a piece of meretricious trash -- Carolyn See> b : superficially significant : PRETENTIOUS <scholarly names to provide fig-leaves of respectability for meretricious but stylish books -- Times Literary Supplement>
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Lounge   -   #60
    Originally posted by clocker+17 October 2003 - 01:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 17 October 2003 - 01:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Skweeky@16 October 2003 - 17:10

1 : of or relating to a prostitute : having the nature of prostitution <meretricious relationship>
    2 a : tawdrily and falsely attractive <the paradise they found was a piece of meretricious trash -- Carolyn See> b : superficially significant : PRETENTIOUS <scholarly names to provide fig-leaves of respectability for meretricious but stylish books -- Times Literary Supplement>
    [/b][/quote]
    yes, I found that too, but I still don&#39;t understand fully....does it just mean something looks nice but isn&#39;t?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast