Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyware problem

AdrianPhoto's Avatar Nice Member BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    okay, this should be easy, you can use ERD Commander to "mount" your current system and do some clean ups, you can also try the new Hiren's Boot 10

I LOVE Canada

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    what should i use on the cd to fix my problem?

i am downloading hiren's boot cd 10.1

peat your method probably would have been best had i known about it before i did what i did, now i cant log into the computer remember? so i cant use that program with a designated harddisk
    Last edited by suprafreak6; 01-11-2010 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Okay, first of all try the some cleaning tools in the Anti-Virus section.
    after you make sure your drives are clean, use Startup Tools to make sure you disable all the processes you're not sure about .
    Now use the "RRT - Remove Restrictions Tool 3.0" to enable some stuff (most important here SafeBoot),
    (for future reference you can use this tool http://www.shockingsoft.com/soft/EDSafemode.zip)

in case RRT didn't work you can use the Registry editor to import this (http://f.imagehost.org/download/0652/REG)

if non of the above worked for you , you can use any of the DOS tools Hiren's offer and try to create a new user on your system
    Code:
    net user UserNameYouWant /add
    Code:
    net user UserNameYouWant *
    and I'm sorry that's all I can help with, I'm sure someone will come up with something more helpful
    Last edited by AdrianPhoto; 01-11-2010 at 08:30 AM.

I LOVE Canada

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    nothing is going according to plan. now the computer goes into a infinite boot. how would this approach sound,
    1. repartition the computer.
    2. install fresh copy of XP onto the new partition
    3. install the program that is needed
    4. copy all contents from the program on old partition to new partition

would that work? i figure if i install the program on the new partition all the registry changes and such will have been done, then whatever is inside the program folder is just settings and accounts correct?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by suprafreak6 View Post
    would that work? i figure if i install the program on the new partition all the registry changes and such will have been done, then whatever is inside the program folder is just settings and accounts correct?
    Normally, if you format the partition and reinstall Windows, nothing, including the rootkit, should remain. But I'm not sure of what you meant with step 4. Copying your files/music/etc. is OK, but pasting the old Program Files over the fresh one will NOT work.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    okay normally i dont say omg, but omg. i reformatted but before i did i saved the program files folders of the programs i needed, i reformatted, installed the programs with the disc. over wrote the new program files with the old...and it worked...i know i am crying with joy too

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    ...and it worked...
    You mean all the Libs and DLLs and Registry Values and all the ini files weren't needed at all?
    Well.. I really don't know what to say! Congratz my friend!

I LOVE Canada

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by suprafreak6 View Post
    over wrote the new program files with the old...and it worked...
    You appear to have been successful, but not all programs will run so gracefully when you've just copied and pasted your old Program Files folder over the new one. Also, what if the malware has infected some of the EXEs inside? Did you check that?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    i only needed one program and now the new partition is infected how did that happen?! i didnt transfer anything but one thing

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Some core Windows programs and accessories are stored on Program Files. Probably they were infected, you moved those over the new folder, and are now back to square one.
    Last edited by anon; 01-11-2010 at 11:07 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast