Thread: Quick Ram Question

I know my computer has DDR ram but I am not sure exactly what type (PC3200, PC2700 etc.). Right now I have 512 mb but I want another 512 mb module (or maybe 2).

So my question is what type of ram do i have to get? Does it have to be the same type as what i have now (i already know it has to be DDR)? If so where can I find out what type I have?

thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Originally posted by wienerschnitzel@16 October 2003 - 02:31
    I know my computer has DDR ram but I am not sure exactly what type (PC3200, PC2700 etc.). Right now I have 512 mb but I want another 512 mb module (or maybe 2).

So my question is what type of ram do i have to get? Does it have to be the same type as what i have now (i already know it has to be DDR)? If so where can I find out what type I have?

thanks
    ***that's in the RAM guide.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Have you tried actually looking at the RAM module and seeing if it is marked?

Mine is...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by adamp2p+16 October 2003 - 01:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adamp2p @ 16 October 2003 - 01:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-wienerschnitzel@16 October 2003 - 02:31
    So my question is what type of ram do i have to get?&nbsp; Does it have to be the same type as what i have now (i already know it has to be DDR)?

thanks
    ***that&#39;s in the RAM guide. [/b][/quote]
    Where? or tell me what it says please

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by wienerschnitzel+16 October 2003 - 02:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (wienerschnitzel @ 16 October 2003 - 02:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by adamp2p@16 October 2003 - 01:45
    <!--QuoteBegin-wienerschnitzel
    @16 October 2003 - 02:31
    So my question is what type of ram do i have to get? Does it have to be the same type as what i have now (i already know it has to be DDR)?

thanks

***that&#39;s in the RAM guide.
    Where? or tell me what it says please [/b][/quote]
    Okay, dude, maybe you are right.

If you want to know the nitty gritty of your computer, its motherboard, RAM type, open slots, etc,

Download AIDA32

it is a free program that will tell you what you have. Install it, play with it for a bit, and you will see more than you ever knew even existed in the hardware of your computer.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Thanks i try that out now. Also i opened my computer and did not see any labels on the ram. but its probally the cheapest type of DDR ram because it came with my computer

edit: that program says I have PC2100 RAM. That shit right? Anyways the question that I have are Do i need to buy another PC2100? & How much of an improvemant would i get if i replace that with something faster and bought another?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Double Agent
    rule of thumb:

buy the same type of ram, same fsb, and same make

otherwise ur computer will run on whichever taht has the lowest speed to compensate.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by wienerschnitzel@16 October 2003 - 03:09
    Thanks i try that out now. Also i opened my computer and did not see any labels on the ram. but its probally the cheapest type of DDR ram because it came with my computer

edit: that program says I have PC2100 RAM. That shit right? Anyways the question that I have are Do i need to buy another PC2100? & How much of an improvemant would i get if i replace that with something faster and bought another?
    Only buy what is compatible with your motherboard.

Oh, and PM Lamsey and tell him to link AIDA32 or another such computer hardware identification program to enhance his guide so people can find the specs of their ram...the details...AIDA generated this kind of detailed report:

Memory Module Properties
    Module Name Micron Tech. 8VDDT3264AG-40BC4
    Serial Number
    Module Size 256 MB (1 rows, 4 banks)
    Module Type Unbuffered
    Memory Type DDR SDRAM
    Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
    Module Width 64 bit
    Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
    Error Detection Method None
    Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh
    Highest CAS Latency 3.0 (5.0 ns @ 200 MHz)
    2nd Highest CAS Latency 2.5 (6.0 ns @ 166 MHz)

Memory Module Features
    Early RAS# Precharge Not Supported
    Auto-Precharge Not Supported
    Precharge All Not Supported
    Write1/Read Burst Not Supported
    Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
    Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
    On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported
    Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
    Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
    Differential Clock Input Supported
    Redundant Row Address Not Supported

Memory Module Manufacturer
    Company Name Micron Technology, Inc.
    Product Information http://www.micron.com/products/category.jsp?path=/DRAM

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    http://www.dailyedeals.com/free_onli...ns/crucial.htm

check there for savings on PC2100 ram B)

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    use sisoft sandra at sisoftware.net or something, aida, cpu-z, theres so many. i&#39;m very very sure 1 of them at least will tell u wat speed ur mem is