Thread: Cd Drive Problem

Alucard1475's Avatar Poster
    Hi everyone,

First of all, I've installed XP a month ago. I never really carred about the problem but sometimes when I turn on my Computer, nothing shows on the next CD which I insert into the CD Drive. I don't think it's a CD problem cause, I've got 100 CD's and none would show the content.

When I then restart the computer, everything seems normal. It's like, I never had any problems. Restarting helps always, but gets annoying.

That happens just occasionally and I have no idea what might be the problem.

I've been on the ME Edition before I installed XP. There wasn't any problem with my CD Drive when I was on ME.

Is there something that I need, some software??

Cheers

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Originally posted by Alucard1475@16 October 2003 - 06:09
    Hi everyone,

First of all, I've installed XP a month ago. I never really carred about the problem but sometimes when I turn on my Computer, nothing shows on the next CD which I insert into the CD Drive. I don't think it's a CD problem cause, I've got 100 CD's and none would show the content.

When I then restart the computer, everything seems normal. It's like, I never had any problems. Restarting helps always, but gets annoying.

That happens just occasionally and I have no idea what might be the problem.

I've been on the ME Edition before I installed XP. There wasn't any problem with my CD Drive when I was on ME.

Is there something that I need, some software??

Cheers
    so this only happens when u do a cold boot, never from a re-boot?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Sometimes yeah but not always. Re-boot usually fixes the problem.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Any other weird things happening with your computer?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    No, not really but, are games supposed to be loaded?? I mean, I had no games on my pc, and the restart took around 40 sec, but after I installed 3gigs of games, now the restart takes around 3 minutes.

Why is that??

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Did you scan those games for sh*t including spyware. What's starting at startup? msconfig ya know.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    pusher's Avatar The New Moral
    This happens to me sometimes. I think it's because of a memory problem. It only happens to me when I have a whole bunch of programs running and I try and access a cd drive of mine.
    The color of this signature is really blue. If you see otherwise, please adjust your monitor settings.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I don't have any spyware, cause I used ad-aware and scaned the whole computer.
    The only thing that starts up is the antivirus corporate edition. I've disabled all the other programs from strating up.

I know it's the problems of the games which I have on my machine, but I do not like to uninstall them.

Why I know you may ask, it's because I uninstalled them and the startup was normal, 40 seconds. Installing the games again, startup takes 3minutes.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Why I know you may ask, it's because I uninstalled them and the startup was normal, 40 seconds.  Installing the games again, startup takes 3minutes. 
    Cor thats a bit long you sure nothing is starting besides the normal ?

CD this happens sometimes when you upgrade and not do a clean install I have not had this problem but seen many with it.
    Try removing the registry key :-HKEY_DYN_DATA\Config Manager\Enum\C2C0F970 now thats mine for the cd rom in ME not XP look for yours,now turn off and then restart don't reboot Windows should look for the cd now and reinstall it.This worked for some and not others.
    Changed to say Secondry/Slave too this worked for some not others.
    And finally give up backed up all doc's etc then reformated and loaded a clean install ,can't recall trying anything esle that worked wish you well its a pain doing what you are doing re-booting all the time.