Thread: simple network question that i've never known the answer to

slim150's Avatar Poster

Question Mark

This is kind of embarrassing..but i never knew the answer to this. Aside from computer to computer networking answer me this:

is a computer connected wirelessly to a 54 mbps G router the same internet speed as a wireless N (or even B) since its probably the internet connection it self (5 mbps) that is the bottleneck?
    "Their most trivial action may mean volumes, or their most extraordinary conduct may depend upon a hairpin or a pair of curling-tongs" - Holmes

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Yup. Internet speed will be the bottleneck.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    The 54mbps is just the theoretical maximum of the technology. Another good example is two computers connected via Ethernet cable often shows the speed of 100mbps, but in reality I doubt either are anywhere near that. I personally have only been 50mb/s in a home setting. It's always limited by hard disk speed, and other hardware restrictions.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    X-Files's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Yes (i guess so)

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Speedo's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    And the facts you gentlemen have told us here will remain til we have fiber directly into the computers.