Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Core i3? Why the hell not?

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Can someone give me a good reason not to get an i3 CPU? The damn thing is only $125. I have been trying to read up on the differences and the only thing I seem to get is that it's a dual core instead of quad and it doesn't use the Intel Turbo Boost tech ( I wouldn't use it anyway) I think I may get a 1156 system and go with this CPU if only for a while. I can always upgrade to a i5/i7 later on right?

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Retail Item #: N82E16820231277Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
    $93.99 select item 2 quantity of item 2

GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail Item #: N82E16813128412Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$5.00 Instant
    $139.99$134.99 select item 3 quantity of item 3

Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Model BX80616I3530 - Retail Item #: N82E16819115222Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
    $124.99

Subtotal: $353.97
    Last edited by Detale; 01-25-2010 at 03:35 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    You can, however it's not as PC Builders would call it "future proof". Dual Cores is a technology that's been around for ages and soon enough will be obsolete, just as hyperthreaded single cores were in the past.

Buying an i3 now, then upgrading within a year seems unreasonable. People buy parts like the i5/i7 in order to make sure it'll give them a bang for a good 3-4 years before their next upgrade.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    LOL, Thanks for the reply but I am not really most people. If you hang around here long enough you'll see I tend to upgrade way more often than is needed/recommended. Mostly I do it on a whim. Like now I saw that cpu at a mere 125 and I feel compelled to redo my system.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    On that basis Detale, no, I for one can't give you a good reason not to..... and I have to admit that, were I able to afford tech on a whim rather than having to plan every build to last as long as possible, I'd be playing with an i3 myself right now.

Probably just to try to get an insane overclock like this (its on air too)

So what if it only has 2 cores, a lot of people with quads aren't using them fully most of the time and probably won't be for some time. Definitely not as future proof, but for most real world applications right now that chip can give you some ridiculous grunt

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I may just throw the i3 inside the g5 Mod

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    is the i3 cool enough to be passively cooled?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    My parents are using their Pentium 3 and it is not causing any problems for them.

If you're gaming, then really go onto the GPU side, if you're working, then the CPU upgrade may be worthwhile, but it all depends on what you should do with the computer.

I see no Dual-Core becoming obsolete in at the least two years from now.

Read reviews, benchmarks; I believe I even saw it overclocked beating the Phenom X4, which is quite something.

EDIT : Well, the 1156 socket is going nowhere. I would see this as a HTPC build, but if you want that "future-proofing" thing, go with an i7 at least.
    Last edited by yann3804; 04-07-2010 at 11:38 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Well I have an i7 on a 1156 platform. For me I upgrade waay too often so I saved a few bucks on it. I also have an i3 now with an EVGA h55 Mobo that I haven't put together yet(still waiting on the case window to be cut ) For the money it seems this far DAMN good.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by yann3804 View Post
    if you want that "future-proofing" thing, go with an i7 at least.
    "That future proofing thing"...people still believe it exists?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    LOL, well said. Yessiree come on down to bob's computer warehouse we got them brand new i7's in stock! Last computer chip you're eer gonn buy, I garontee it or my name isn't Bob!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast