Thread: Riaa And Formats

Is thee RIAA targeting a specific format (.MP3, .WMA, etc).

Just curious.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    the riaa is mostly targetting music files i.e mp3, WAV, etc. its the mp3 and WAV that they are mostly targetting because those can be ripped off of a CD.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    why target mp3s?? i mean whats the difference/?

downlaoding mp3s aint ilegal they say its copyrighted material that is shared is illegal so why not go for al the fish

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    After I download an MP3, I convert it to WMA, but not cuz of the RIAA. I do it to reduce the filesize; besides, a 64 bit WMA sounds as good as a 128 bit MP3 IMHO.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by johnrsellers@19 October 2003 - 08:27
    After I download an MP3, I convert it to WMA, but not cuz of the RIAA. I do it to reduce the filesize; besides, a 64 bit WMA sounds as good as a 128 bit MP3 IMHO.
    yet marrying your files to microsoft software reduces who you can share files with. even if the authorities were more concerned with mp3 rather than other formats, converting all mp3s into .wma files is a retrogressive step in terms of sharing, save some disk space and basically act as a leech in order to do so. changing open standard files into proprietary formats locks them out of being shared by many users.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Originally posted by echidna+19 October 2003 - 03:42--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (echidna @ 19 October 2003 - 03:42)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-johnrsellers@19 October 2003 - 08:27
    After I download an MP3, I convert it to WMA, but not cuz of the RIAA.&nbsp; I do it to reduce the filesize; besides, a 64 bit WMA sounds as good as a 128 bit MP3 IMHO.
    yet marrying your files to microsoft software reduces who you can share files with. even if the authorities were more concerned with mp3 rather than other formats, converting all mp3s into .wma files is a retrogressive step in terms of sharing, save some disk space and basically act as a leech in order to do so. changing open standard files into proprietary formats locks them out of being shared by many users. [/b][/quote]
    It&#39;s never been a problem before. A while back, I sent a WMA converted with dMC to someone, and he said he had no problem playing it.

I&#39;ll email you a file if you wish to see if it&#39;s playable on your machine.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by johnrsellers+20 October 2003 - 05:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (johnrsellers &#064; 20 October 2003 - 05:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by echidna@19 October 2003 - 03:42
    <!--QuoteBegin-johnrsellers
    @19 October 2003 - 08:27

yet marrying your files to microsoft software reduces who you can share files with. even if the authorities were more concerned with mp3 rather than other formats, converting all mp3s into .wma files is a retrogressive step in terms of sharing, save some disk space and basically act as a leech in order to do so. changing open standard files into proprietary formats locks them out of being shared by many users.
    It&#39;s never been a problem before. A while back, I sent a WMA converted with dMC to someone, and he said he had no problem playing it.

I&#39;ll email you a file if you wish to see if it&#39;s playable on your machine. [/b][/quote]
    there is no possible way i know to play wma or wmv files on my linux box without emulating a windows OS within the linux OS [an awful lot of effort learning and know how, which i&#39;m not keen to get into when it plays mp3 and ogg files right after installation, and i could play it on my mac if i download and install &#39;another&#39; player just to play wma when itunes plays all the mp3s i give it?

it is just rude and naive to think that every computer on the internet is running a MS windows OS, so using windows only formats limits the size of the community which can share that format, if the aim is sharing then using a windows only format is a step backward.

ed. typo

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by echidna@20 October 2003 - 10:11
    it is just rude and naive to think that every computer on the internet is running a MS windows OS, so using windows only formats limits the size of the community which can share that format, if the aim is sharing then using a windows only format is a step backward.
    Even of those RUNNING Windows, not all of us have Media Player installed -- let alone the latest-and-greatest audio/video codecs for it to play the DRM-protected proprietary Microsoft media formats (.ASF, .WMV, .WMA)

Some of us prefer to keep a little of our privacy instead of having Microsoft always looking over our shoulder. Btw, Media Player &#39;phones home&#39; information about the files you&#39;ve played on it. Zone Alarm, or any other good firewall, set to parinoid mode (basically block and log all internet traffic) will catch it.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Originally posted by Switeck+20 October 2003 - 13:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Switeck @ 20 October 2003 - 13:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-echidna@20 October 2003 - 10:11
    Even of those RUNNING Windows, not all of us have Media Player installed -- let alone the latest-and-greatest audio/video codecs for it to play the DRM-protected proprietary Microsoft media formats (.ASF, .WMV, .WMA)

Some of us prefer to keep a little of our privacy instead of having Microsoft always looking over our shoulder. Btw, Media Player &#39;phones home&#39; information about the files you&#39;ve played on it. Zone Alarm, or any other good firewall, set to parinoid mode (basically block and log all internet traffic) will catch it. [/b][/quote]
    Oh please, I don&#39;t even use WMP, I have Winamp. Besides, dbPoweramp doesn&#39;t use DRM.