Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: England V Turkey

Poster
    Originally posted by scribblec@17 October 2003 - 20:19
    well the seeded thing he showed was how the gruops for qualification was chosen

the thing i said was for the main thing
    i think france portugal italy and holand or spain if they qualify
    then theres like a pot 2 then 3 then 4

the reason turkey and england cant be in same group is because they are in the same pot also germany is here too , i dont know who the 4th team is though....
    Let me say this again

I heard on the radio that, if Turkey qualify then because of the last world cup they will be seeded higher than England. As such they would not be in the same pot and could be in the same group.

You have obviously heard or seen something different.

My source is talksport, it may be incorrect.

Can you show or tell me where you got the info that they would be seeded together.

2. Lounge   -   #42
    Poster
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean+17 October 2003 - 20:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Billy_Dean @ 17 October 2003 - 20:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JPaul@18 October 2003 - 04:00
    Billy

I would suggest that Man Utd aren&#39;t even the greatest team in the History of English Football.

Unless of course you chose to ignore Liverpool and particularly their success in Europe.
    Man U won the league in 1967, and again in 1993, 26 years between drinks. During that time, Liverpool won it 11 times. A truly great side, and good to watch. (unlike Leeds) But United have dominated the premier league like no other team, ever&#33;

Please allow me to gloat, if it takes another 26 years, I may not be around to see it.

[/b][/quote]
    Granted Man Utd have dominated the premier league, the facts speak for themselves. Which makes them currently the top English side.

However isn&#39;t it the case that Liverpool have won more (meaningful) trophies, still one or two ahead. Isn&#39;t it also the case that they have been more successful in European competition.

So I would return to my position. Liverpool are the most successful team in the History of English Football.

3. Lounge   -   #43
    scribblec's Avatar Poster
    a newspaper called the mirror
    and yes turkey were indeed seeded higher then england for the group that was chosen and england came top that group is what u r talking bout this is the seeding for that actual tournament

4. Lounge   -   #44
    Poster
    Originally posted by scribblec@17 October 2003 - 20:44
    and yes turkey were indeed seeded higher then england for the group that was chosen and england came top that group is what u r talking bout this is the seeding for that actual tournament
    No I am talking about the finals.

On talksport they said that if Turkey qualified they would be seeded higher in the draw for the finals.

They were commenting on the irony, since England had won their group and Turkey were second in the same group. They thought it was a bit unfair.

Like I say they may have been wrong.

5. Lounge   -   #45
    BANNED
    From the Guardian .. note, 2001, so one more to Arsenal and United.

Sean Ingle
    Friday October 5, 2001

"My mate reckons that if you add up all the results played in the top flight of the English football, Everton are the most successful side ever," says Matthew Tempest. "He can&#39;t be right, can he?"

Bizarrely he is spot on, Matthew. While Liverpool (18), Manchester United (14) and Arsenal (11) have won more Premiership and old Division One league titles, Everton (nine) have accumulated more points.

During their 98 seasons in the top league, Everton have played 3834 matches, winning 1568, drawing 1568 and losing 940, which gives them (using the old system of two points for a win) 4076 points. That&#39;s better than second-placed Liverpool (4005 points), Arsenal (3878), Aston Villa (3732) and fifth-placed Manchester United (3732), all of whom have played considerably fewer seasons in the top flight.

Manchester City, Sunderland, Newcastle, Tottenham and Chelsea make up the top 10. For more information visit Heikki Pietarinen&#39;s excellent table at Rsssf

6. Lounge   -   #46
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by scribblec@17 October 2003 - 19:44
    I think it&#39;s stretching it a bit to call the Mirror a newspaper

7. Lounge   -   #47
    Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey+17 October 2003 - 21:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 17 October 2003 - 21:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-scribblec@17 October 2003 - 19:44
    I think it&#39;s stretching it a bit to call the Mirror a newspaper [/b][/quote]
    Flamer

8. Lounge   -   #48
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by JPaul+17 October 2003 - 20:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul @ 17 October 2003 - 20:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Lamsey@17 October 2003 - 21:09
    <!--QuoteBegin-scribblec
    @17 October 2003 - 19:44

I think it&#39;s stretching it a bit to call the Mirror a newspaper
    Flamer

[/b][/quote]

9. Lounge   -   #49
    Poster
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@17 October 2003 - 21:08
    From the Guardian .. note, 2001, so one more to Arsenal and United.

Sean Ingle
    Friday October 5, 2001

"My mate reckons that if you add up all the results played in the top flight of the English football, Everton are the most successful side ever," says Matthew Tempest. "He can&#39;t be right, can he?"

Bizarrely he is spot on, Matthew. While Liverpool (18), Manchester United (14) and Arsenal (11) have won more Premiership and old Division One league titles, Everton (nine) have accumulated more points.

During their 98 seasons in the top league, Everton have played 3834 matches, winning 1568, drawing 1568 and losing 940, which gives them (using the old system of two points for a win) 4076 points. That&#39;s better than second-placed Liverpool (4005 points), Arsenal (3878), Aston Villa (3732) and fifth-placed Manchester United (3732), all of whom have played considerably fewer seasons in the top flight.

Manchester City, Sunderland, Newcastle, Tottenham and Chelsea make up the top 10. For more information visit Heikki Pietarinen&#39;s excellent table at Rsssf

So not only are Liverpool above Man Utd, Everton are as well.

10. Lounge   -   #50
    BANNED
    [JP]
    So not only are Liverpool above Man Utd, Everton are as well.

And Aston F*ckin Villa&#33;&#33;

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast