Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panopticlick - What does your browser reveal?

Traditionally, people assume they can prevent a website from identifying them by disabling cookies on their web browser. Unfortunately, this is not the whole story.

When you visit a website, you are allowing that site to access a lot of information about your computer's configuration. Combined, this information can create a kind of fingerprint - a signature that could be used to identify you and your computer. Some companies are already using technology to try to identify individual computers. But how effective would this kind of online tracking be?

EFF is running an experiment to find out. Panopticlick will anonymously log the configuration and version information from your operating system, your browser, and your plug-ins, and compare it to our database of many other Internet users' configurations. Then, it will give you a uniqueness score - letting you see how easily identifiable you might be as you surf the web.
    Check it out here:
    http://panopticlick.eff.org/
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    P2PDog's Avatar Beagle
    Here's my results with Adblock+, CS Lite and NoScript enabled....

Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 121,324 tested so far.
    Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys at least 16.89 bits of identifying information.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    These are mine, I'm running Opera with the BlockIt addon:
    Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 122,399 tested so far.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys at least 16.9 bits of identifying information.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Within our dataset of several hundred thousand visitors, only one in 591 browsers have the same fingerprint as yours.
    Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys 9.21 bits of identifying information.
    9.21 bits is quite low, for what I'm seeing.
    I'm using many of anon-sbi's tips, plus some other home network policies.
    Last edited by Cabalo; 01-28-2010 at 05:59 PM.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Within our dataset of several hundred thousand visitors, only one in 591 browsers have the same fingerprint as yours.
    Are you on Firefox? NoScript and Modify Headers were enough to make the fingerprint unique here.
    Last edited by anon; 01-28-2010 at 06:54 PM.

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    which modify headers? those http referrers?
    using noscript on FF.

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    which modify headers? those http referrers?
    It's the name of an addon:
    http://modifyheaders.mozdev.org/

Personally, I use it to filter "unimportant" HTTP headers out. It also lets you disable referers or edit your User-Agent without installing something else. It's very powerful as it puts you in control of almost everything Firefox sends to servers.

On a different note, the trend nowadays is using invisible Flash applets to store LSOs, that get assigned 100KB of disk space and remain even if you clear your cookies. In your case, NoScript should take care of them, but there's "Super-Cookie Safeguard" for those that don't like NS. People using other browsers (as it's my case) can disable Flash globally and individually allow it for sites that need it.

Also, don't forget to disable supercookies if you haven't already - set dom.storage.enabled in about:config to false.
    Last edited by anon; 01-28-2010 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Typo

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    here is what i get:
    Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 1,238,640 tested so far.Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys at least 20.24 bits of identifying information.
    no idea what the hell it means tho
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by cinephilia View Post
    no idea what the hell it means tho
    Firstly, thank you for bumping this. More people should be aware about it.

Secondly, it basically means you're the only person (of all who have taken the test) that's using the same browser settings. So you can potentially be identified as an individual user, even if you delete your cookies, Flash LSOs and the like. The worst part is, disabling Flash/Java/JavaScript, referrers, etc. only makes your browser more unique. At the time I posted this, it was more of a proof of concept than anything, but now tracking software taking advantage of this is available in the market.

Also, if you're interested, have a look at:
    http://samy.pl/evercookie/ - "virtually irrevocable persistent cookies". Thankfully, Opera's private tabs work pretty well against that, and BleachBit can delete all the traces evercookies leave in your computer.
    Last edited by anon; 10-28-2010 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Many typos

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    Shinzen's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Here is mine

Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 1,241,183 tested so far.
    Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys at least 20.24 bits of identifying information.
    I hav no clue what above is about ! shud i hav configure any settings to make it better or something ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast