Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Are We Jsut A Bunch Of Theives?

Are we jsut a bunch of theives?

i was talking with a buddy who didn't know much about filesharing, he was very much against it, and it really got me thinking about this issue.

what is filesharing?
    Isn't this just downloading games, movies, books, and music from other people on the internet?

So, what is wrong with that?
    think about this, How many of the files you download are copyrighted?

Why are they copyrighted?
    So, the people who benefit from the files are those who put the effort and time into making it for our entertainment and their wallet. And they rightfully should be the ones benefiting from it.
    How would you feel if you worked for 2 years to build a house, then someone else just gave it away, and you got nothing from it? I would want to lynch the guy who gave it away.

i think i've made the point. What we filesharers are doing is stealing the fruit of other people's laubour. We are guilty.

Imagine a world where everyone was a filesharer, would we still have any files to share?

I'll give you an example. India makes about 1/3 of world's software; while China makes almost none. Why? Because, 99% of the disks you buy in China is Pirate Warez. in fact it is very difficult to find a shop that sells nothing but the copyrighted legal version of software in China.

So, should we stop sharing files?

Why would we still share and download files if we know it is so wrong? Do we even know what we are doing is wrong? Would it matter?

(i'm not from RIAA or MPAA. I did share files, and i probably will in the future when i get a better internet connection [i'm 56k atm], what i want to know is should we do something about this and stop sharing?)

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    what a load of bollocks

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    No.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Well, to use your "house metaphor", have you ever heard of visiting the place before buying? That&#39;s the way I use P2P... When I like something I&#39;ve downloaded I go buy it. I don&#39;t exactly feel like a thief.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    Not all of the files being shared are copyrighted,
    I have tons of anime in my share folder that are public domain

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Mr AnDy D's Avatar Poster
    most files you get on kazaa (at least the big ones) do not have the quality as the original, so I just use kazaa as a "trial"

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by Will_518@17 October 2003 - 20:31
    Are we jsut a bunch of theives?

i was talking with a buddy who didn&#39;t know much about filesharing, he was very much against it, and it really got me thinking about this issue.

what is filesharing?
    Isn&#39;t this just downloading games, movies, books, and music from other people on the internet?

So, what is wrong with that?
    think about this, How many of the files you download are copyrighted?

Why are they copyrighted?
    So, the people who benefit from the files are those who put the effort and time into making it for our entertainment and their wallet. And they rightfully should be the ones benefiting from it.
    How would you feel if you worked for 2 years to build a house, then someone else just gave it away, and you got nothing from it? I would want to lynch the guy who gave it away.

i think i&#39;ve made the point. What we filesharers are doing is stealing the fruit of other people&#39;s laubour. We are guilty.

Imagine a world where everyone was a filesharer, would we still have any files to share?

I&#39;ll give you an example. India makes about 1/3 of world&#39;s software; while China makes almost none. Why? Because, 99% of the disks you buy in China is Pirate Warez. in fact it is very difficult to find a shop that sells nothing but the copyrighted legal version of software in China.

So, should we stop sharing files?

Why would we still share and download files if we know it is so wrong? Do we even know what we are doing is wrong? Would it matter?

(i&#39;m not from RIAA or MPAA. I did share files, and i probably will in the future when i get a better internet connection [i&#39;m 56k atm], what i want to know is should we do something about this and stop sharing?)
    Are you calling me a thief
    You c**k s*****g b*****d &#33;

[i&#39;m 56k atm]
    Arrrrrr now i see, sour grapes &#33;

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    It depends on what you do with the stuff you&#39;re downloading.

I still spend &#036; on CDs, just as I did before p2p.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Double Agent
    it&#39;s not stealing

it&#39;s a way to evaluating a piece of software before we buy.

a lot of games are crap, so i dont think crap game developers should get the money they deserve by buying their games.

If i think a game sucks, i delete them off of my hdd, as there is no place for them on my hdd, let alone my cds.

they are not even worth burning

so stealing? I dont fucking think so motherfuckers

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Proffesional Dumbass
    most files you get on kazaa (at least the big ones) do not have the quality as the original, so I just use kazaa as a "trial"
    i totally agree with you. I use kazaa to find things i like then i buy them
    well for most of them anyway

Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast